A Conversation for Scouts

Hello

Post 1

fisher_sco

Don't you think that you're being a bit stereotypical? Not all Scouts are actually like this!


Hello

Post 2

Paendrag

I would have thought that was the point?

I would almost go so far as to say that NO scouts are actually "like this"...

I have never seen a scout help an elderly person accross the street, and I have been in the movement for 15 years... And yes, I am a Rover, as well as being a Venturer leader here in the great Land Down Under, Oz...

(I have seen Guides selling biscuits on occasion though (and very nice they were, too...))


Scouts

Post 3

QSA100

Hello Guys,

I'm a Group Scout Leader from North London and I find it so frustrating when people say things that are simply not true.

Scouting is a global, educational youth Movement. In the UK, Scouting is organised through The Scout Association and has a clear purpose:

To help young people achieve their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential as individuals, as responsible citizens and as Members of their local, national and international communities.

About our work
Even if we can't solve all the problems in the world, we can help to make it a better place. Scouting makes a positive contribution to society by helping young people to develop as active members of the community:

who are self reliant
who are caring
who are responsible
who show commitment
Scouting works well when young people enjoy learning by doing in partnership with adults. They do this by:

taking part in a variety of activities and new experiences
exploring the outdoors
participating in teams
taking responsibility
Our method for giving young people the opportunity to learn by doing is called the Programme. The Programme is a continuous progression of training, activities and awards that covers everything that young people do in Scouting from the age of 6 to 25.

Our commitment
In Scouting, our adults have a responsibility to make sure that the Programme is fun and exciting. We must also make sure that it is safe. The Scout Association's policies, rules, code of behaviour, advice on Child Protection and safety policy are there to ensure our young people stay safe while they enjoy themselves and learn.

Who can be a Scout?
Scouting is open to all young people aged 6 to 25 of every faith and background. There are also plenty of opportunities for adults to become involved as Leaders, Assistants or Administrators.

Thanks for reading

Andrew Thorp


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more