A Conversation for ASCII Picture Quiz 1

Blimey!

Post 1

Beatrice

Those are brilliant! How on earth do you create something like that? I find that standing at the other side of the room helps to make out the picture.


Blimey!

Post 2

Icy North

The trick is to have an infinite number of keyboard-bashing monkeys - eventually they come up with something recognisable. smiley - smiley

I'm interested to know whether I've pitched it right - not too easy, not too difficult - can you let me know? More quizzes will follow if it's popular smiley - smiley


Blimey!

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - yikesMy eyes!!

I'll confess I knew #1 but then my eyes started suffering with squinting so didn't try to hard with the others.

Well done on something very, very different, Icy!smiley - hugsmiley - smooch


Blimey!

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Well it's too hard for me! But I'm not a film buff.

I think I know the first one; in some of the others I can make out that there is a person in the picture.


Blimey!

Post 5

Icy North

Thanks both - I'll try to vary the subject matter if it goes down well and people want more. It's actually a very fine line between making a picture obvious and making it impossible, but your comments will help me get it right in the future.


Blimey!

Post 6

Vip

I can recognise that there are people and objects, but (apart from #1) I don't know enough films to guess what the others would be.

If you made those yourself, Icy, they are fantastic.

smiley - fairy


Blimey!

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I am sure these are brilliant - but all I can make out so far is that there's a man in a suit in one of them. I will try moving the laptop so I can get far enough away. I am not hopeful - I could never figure out those hologram thingies, either.smiley - rofl


Blimey!

Post 8

KB

Number two leaped right out at me. It's the famous crop-dusting scene from North-by-Northwest, right?

Number three looks like some kind of oriental-ish garden furniture, along with someone with arms outstretched, so I'll take a complete stab in the dark. The Karate Kid?


Blimey!

Post 9

Deek

I'd have to agree
No2 is from North by Northwest.

My guesses on the others, which are probably waaay off line, are

No 3 The Exorcist.
No 5 Pirates of the Caribbean
No 6 The Elephant Man
No 7 Titanic (the 'flying' scene)
No 9 The Godfather

But I can't get to grips with the others...

Deke


Blimey!

Post 10

Vip

Pretty sure #1 is Darth Vader (although which scene it is I have no idea).

smiley - fairy


Blimey!

Post 11

You can call me TC

A tentative try:

1. Harry Potter (can make out Snape with Harry in the background)
2. A James Bond? It's a man in a suit running away from a building on a hill.... or from two snowmen?
3. A guy on a horse riding through a forest. Lucky Luke?
4. A cartoon? Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice
5. Looks like the face of a native American - One Flew over the Cuckoos's Nest?
6. Scary movie?
7. Is that a typhoon? Twister?
8. Looks like two blokes tying their ties. Starsky and Hutch?
9. My colleages tell me this is the Godfather. I haven't ever seen it, so I'll have to take their word for it.
10. One of those new Robert Pattinson Twilight vampire thingies.


I expect Icy is wetting himself laughing at my attempt. They're probably all waaaay out.


Blimey!

Post 12

Icy North

I'm about to send the solutions to the Post Editor, so you'll find out soon.

If I've made them too difficult (which I wasn't to know before you told me), then it's hardly for me to laugh at your attempts. Having said that, I confess that most guesses at number 6 have been quite entertaining, but there have been some correct guesses too.

smiley - smiley


Blimey!

Post 13

You can call me TC

Hang on! There've only been 2 guesses at No 6 ... Deke's and mine.

I hope you realise the sacrifice I had to make to do this quiz - in
Goo they're all in the negative (white on blue) so I had to convert to alabaster to see them the right way round!


Blimey!

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Here are my guesses:

1 . Darth Vader meets Luke Skywalker on the cloud planet (Empire Strikes Back)
2. Apocalypse Now (helicopter in the background)
3. James Dean standing at a Street Corner
4. The Battle of Britain
5. Romeo and Juliet
6. Mushroom cloud over Hiroshima
7. The Phantom of the Opera
8. Abbot and Costello
9. The Godfaher
10. Avatar


Blimey!

Post 15

Deek


No 4. The only suggestion I’m getting from that one is the robot thingy from Short Circuit.

No 6. Yesterday, for me No 6 was a toss up between EM and ET. Looking at it afresh today I’m definitely getting the vibes for Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard. ‘I’m ready for my close up now’. (and I’m not suggesting Gloria Swanson looks anything like EM or ET).

No 8. Looks like a couple of military types to me. Hands are about up to about the position where you’d hang your binoculars. Something like the ‘Desert Fox’ (Rommel). Or it’s Stan and Laurel playing with their neckties.

Deke


Blimey!

Post 16

Deek

Oooh Argh, Ive just thought

No 8, Jack Hawkins and his Number one in ‘The Cruel Sea’.

Deke


Blimey!

Post 17

Beatrice

I'd emailed my guesses to Icy earlier (and yes he fell about laughing at them).
I went for:

1. Darth Vadar in one of the Start Warseses.
2. North by Northwest
3.Some cowboys - I thought it might be Butch and Sundance, but it's not.
4. Shipyard cranes?
5. Pirates of the Caribbean (though I'm now changing that to Captain Hook in peter Pan)
6. I keep thinking this is Marilyn Munroe
7. I still see a lady in a bonnet in front of Mont St Michel, but whoever said Titanic is looking more like it.
8. Military types but I haven't got the movie. Still looks like Arthur Lowe to me.
9. The Godfather - I found this one the easiest to see and identify.
10. Star Trek or Hobbits.


Blimey!

Post 18

Icy North

It may help you to know that 6 pictures have been correctly identified so far smiley - smiley


Blimey!

Post 19

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Picture 7 - the hair! Is it Gary Oldman as Dracula smiley - vampire

http://www.movieactors.com/freezes1/Dracula6.jpg


Blimey!

Post 20

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Picture 4 - looks like space and construction - I'm guessing some kind of space platform or waystation.

Gateway from Aliens?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2048122697_4f88329c91.jpg


Key: Complain about this post