A Conversation for Talking Point: How to Get on With Your Flatmates

Cycles

Post 1

Dux

Coming from having negative experiences and currently a very positive experience with flatmates, I find the most difficult aspects are personality and money conflicts.

My Soapbox:

- make sure they have income (preferably somewhere close to the same pay scale as you. You will have more empathy for their situation if you are in a similar situation)
- shared bills. pay them. if you can't pay your bills, at least pay the shared bills so the other person doesn't have to suffer.
- communication. This is so key to any relationship, I can't stress this enough. If something bothers you - either let it go or tell them.
- respect. Your flatmate is going to display some odd behaviours. Best to respect their oddities and wish that same respect back. You are just as weird as they are.


Cycles

Post 2

Peregrin

I have to agree with the communication thing. One of my housemates emailed me today about some trivial argument matter which could have been sorted out with a short RL discussion, whereas he chose to write a long insulting email instead, which just aggrivates the matter smiley - erm


Cycles

Post 3

threesecondmemory

yeah talking.

The house I lived had five students/dolies living in it. Someone left the oven on once by mistake so one lad left a note on the oven saying 'please do not leave te oven on'. Which really irritated the person that had left it on. So left a note back, and then the first lad replied with a note. It then got stupid. We all joined in. Everywhere in the house there was notes. In the fridge, in the shower, in the cupboards. It got ridiculas to say the least!

As time went on it got quite funny. The notes were so sureal


Cycles

Post 4

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Where I was living last year one girl lived across the hall from the spare room, which served as a kind of guest house for all of our visitors... she left notes all over the place, as sporadic roomates are more difficult to train. "This is not a youth hostel, it's my home. Love Anat," and "Leave dirty dishes and die, motherf****r. Love Anat."


Cycles

Post 5

threesecondmemory

Moderaters are slack today smiley - winkeye


Cycles

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

hell yes. Cocks!


Cycles

Post 7

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

When I was in halls, we made some spoof posters, as a sort of protest about some of the more ridiculous rules - such as no posters on the walls in the kitchen, only on the noticeboard... or no decorations in teh kitchen (not even for Christmas). The reason for both was apparently 'They're a fire hazard'.

So, we banned hair from the kitchen, because it could easily catch fire. We even went as far as banning breathing, because this requires oxygen. Without whichm there would of course be no fires... smiley - winkeye


Cycles

Post 8

Peregrin

smiley - laugh Sounds perfectly reasonable to me smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more