A Conversation for Talking Point: Things that are Irredeemably Tacky

Tack of the future

Post 1

Ingisim - Domestic Goddess

What about things that are hip and trendy now, but will quickly descend into tack in the future? I've been hoping that this would happen to all things Pokemon for a year and a half - but there's no sign of it yet.


Tack of the future

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Furbies!!!!


Tack of the future

Post 3

Captain Kebab

Already happened to Furbies hasn't it? Those stupid robot dogs - they must be candidates for the yesterday's tacky toy of tomorrow.

You're much better off with a stupid real smiley - dog - you may have to pick up their poo in a plastic bag, but at least they show you some affection and guard your house (from the postman).


Tack of the future

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I was fascinated by the "Furbie Autopsy" site, showing you how to dismantle and reprogram them... Apparently the standard Furbie has the same processing power as an Apple II... smiley - bigeyes


Tack of the future

Post 5

Wampus

What would you reprogram a furby to do?


Tack of the future

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

From what I remember, you could tinker with the "speech pattern" to make it sound like it was mangling different Western and Eastern languages... I'm sure we could come up with something more creative, though... smiley - winkeye


Tack of the future

Post 7

Ingisim - Domestic Goddess

If you tinker with and torture them enough, perhaps you could turn them into Gremlins...smiley - bigeyes


Tack of the future

Post 8

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Surely you just have to feed them after midnight for that?
And I agree that it is high time for Pokemon to become yesterday's tack, right along with Westlife. smiley - ok


Tack of the future

Post 9

the Shee

I never understood the "after midnight bit"--isn't it always after midnight? smiley - bigeyes

And what about Beanie Babies? (Did those ever make it over to Europe? smiley - erm) Well, they are sort of gone now, I guess....


Tack of the future

Post 10

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Yeah, the after midnight is a bit confusing. When does it stop being after midnight, and become morning?


Tack of the future

Post 11

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

I don't know guys, I think Pokemon might be tack proof. It's too well put together ya see. While some elements like the films and cartoons might make it into the tack bin the game boy games and card games at the centre are just set to run and run I think. They're gonna be one of those things that people associate with fondly when thinking of playtimes at school. I certainly have these feelings toward things like garbage pail kids cards and all the poor quality Star wars merchandise of my childhood.

I do think that the future will look disdainfully on the Harry potter films and all the tat they have dumped in the shops (the books will still demand respect though).


Tack of the future

Post 12

Mister Matty

Undoubtably micro-scooters will be a laughing-stock in ten years. I think they're unspeakably naff now and it says a lot about the "fashion-sheep" mentality that grown adults were scooting around the streets with them not so long ago. Bl**dy awful!


Tack of the future

Post 13

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Another Sinclair C5 you think? There is no such thing as poor quality Star Wars merchandise, it's all great however cheap and badly made it was. And Garbage Pail Kids! I used to have loads of them, now where did I put them......


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more