A Conversation for Talking Point: Things that are Irredeemably Tacky

holiday souvenirs

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Anything made of sea-shells glued together, or sometimes it is one big shell with other stuff glued on. They usually say 'A Gift From '

Sadly I have actually seen these on display (sitting on a crochet doily -natch) in somebody's living room.

Doilys are pretty tacky too.


holiday souvenirs

Post 2

Dinsdale Piranha

Those sort of things get used by 'ironic' tat merchants, but in reality, they're just tacky.

People who put up the 'three ducks' on their wall above the fireplace as a 'joke' know what I'm on about.


holiday souvenirs

Post 3

PaulLucke

We recently visited Rouen and partook of the (commercial) "Joan of Arc Experience" which featured Jeanne memorabilia and tacky souvenirs going back two hundred years. Our favourite was the 1930s(?) box of chocolate faggots with which you could build a chocolate pyre. That alone was worth the entrance fee! Alas, good taste has prevailed since then and no local chocolatiers were able to come up with a modern equivalent.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more