Talking Point: Would You Like To Dance?

8 Conversations

Ricky Gervais as David Brent in TV comedy 'The Office' performing his now infamous dance routine.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
- Japanese proverb
Just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmm.
- Lady Gaga, 'Just Dance'

Dancing is as old as the hills. We primates have been shaking our booties for time immemorial. It's ritualistic, it's cermonial, it's a mating call, it's communual. And in the case of your uncle with his thumbs in the air, it's faintly embarrassing.

With the party season looming, we thought it would be a good time to find out how many of you have dancing feet. Do you like to dance? Or is the closest you get to dancing watching the celebs on Strictly with Brucie and a box of chocs on a Saturday night? Do you have a morbid dread of moving your hips and arms in a vaguely co-ordinated fashion? Tell us what you think:

  • Are you a bit of dancer? Do you go dancing a lot?

  • Or do you have two left feet and cringe at the thought of gyrating in front of people?

  • Where do you go to dance? Is there a favourite nightspot or salsa dancing club you regularly go to? Or do you prefer to dance alone, perfecting a 'special routine' behind closed doors à la David Brent (see above)?

  • Are you a frustrated mover? Do you yearn to free up your inhibitions and let rip with gay abandon?

  • We may have Strictly Come Dancing in the UK - or Dancing With the Stars in the US - but have we lost part of our own identity as we no longer really engage in traditional dance?

  • Or do you keep tradition alive? Do you do the Highland Reel, The Gay Gordon or an Irish jig? Do you dance around maypoles, go to ceilidhs?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A60021802

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more