Entry of the Month: August's Entries

2 Conversations

The Entry of the Month banner

Welcome to Entry Of The Month, the Post column that celebrates the very best of writing for the Edited Guide.

Thank you to everyone voting in the July competition. Apologies for not giving you more time to make your mind up, but we're still catching up after the h2g2 Post summer break. We will have shortened voting periods for the August and September competitions, too, but should be back to normal by the beginning of November.

The Winners

As is customary, we have a new winner to announce:

Entry of the Month, July 2009 is A54557580 - Percy Fawcett and the Lost City of Z.

This Entry, written by Giford, sub-edited by Gnomon and beautifully illustrated by Malabarista is the fascinating story of intrepid explorer Percy Fawcett, whose mysterious disappearance in the Amazon jungle spawned countless rumours, many expeditions to discover the truth, and many well-known literary works, too. Congratulations to everyone involved!

August Competition

These are a few which caught my eye, and which hopefully illustrate the variety of entries in this month's competition. It's not the full list, of course - there are a total of 26 Entries which you can vote for, and the last item in this list links to the Front Page Archive, where you will find all the others. As always, please look through the Entries and cast a vote for your favourite. Not only that, but please ask your h2g2 friends to take part, too.

Icy's Suggestions

Can I Vote?

Of course you can! Entry of The Month is all about popular opinion. So whether you're an old-hand in Peer Review or you just signed up yesterday, you are more than welcome to post your vote to the forum below.

IMPORTANT: Please post only once to the voting forum. Votes can then be quickly counted without having to double-check. Please do not try to vote anywhere else. Voting for your own Entry is politely discouraged. This system is reliant on your goodwill and honesty.

But I don't like any of your suggestions!

That's fine. My list is just a few which caught my eye. If you've seen something you prefer, please vote for that Entry instead. It would help if you could include an A-Number by way of a link.

All an Entry needs to qualify is to have been put on the Front Page for the first time in the last month. Please check the date on the Entry you are nominating. It happens that old Entries are sometimes put back on the Front Page for a 'second spell' – you can identify these on the Front Page Archive as they have a little ® beside them. The Entry Of The Month must be first published in the month in question.

The competition will be closed at a judicious point towards the end of the calendar month in which the competition is published according to the following Post deadline, when voting activity has been quiet for a period of time. Either Icy North or the Post Team will announce closure by posting to the voting thread. The votes will be tallied and any ties will be resolved by the Post Team. The Post Team's decision on any matter relating to the competition will be final.

Entry of the Month Archive

Icy North

05.10.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A57934362

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more