A trip down the River Lee, Clapton, London, UK

1 Conversation

This entry was inspired by a wonderful, informative entry about a multi-national melting pot that is Kingsland Road, an area I know well.

And just a short skip away...



... you will find Springfield Park, the River Lee and Hackney marshes.


I, too, am passionate about the area in which I live. I happen to have the top flat in a five-floor, ex-local authority building - The Penthouse Sweet - overlooking all of these wondrous sights.

A tree
The wildlife is truly incredible. I am constantly amazed at the fact that I can live so close to Stoke Newington in Hackney - a vibrant hub of London - yet so near to the heart of some superb countryside.

For my imaginary wander...



I invite you to join me at the foot of the hill at the Stamford Hill end of Springfield Park. If we are to take a stroll in the sun, we shall certainly need some food-for-thought. So, before we start, let's take a seat at the cafe by the boatclub and have ourselves a fine, fresh free-range fried egg sandwich. While we sit we will be caught up in the bustle of the rowers, who will sit beside us to prepare their boats before launching off and disappearing around round the bend in the river.



Behind us, in the park, cricketers are bowling and batting, their wives, children and friends are playing and there may be some one flying a kite. The tennis players are busy working up a sweat on the free tennis courts. The squirrels are busy being cute to persuade passers-by to feed them nuts and other nuggets which they run to take from the hand before skipping away to bury or eat them. Sometimes the sparrows, too, will want a friendly hand to perch on and nibble.



In fact, I will have come prepared for our ramble with some of the bread that invariably goes stale on my windowsill, for the walk we will take will be monitored by all manner or birds which seem very well fed, but can always be encouraged - or may encourage you - to eat a little more. As we sit by the café enjoying our coffee, the swans and the Canada Geese will no doubt glide pass to check whether we couldn't spare a morsel.
A black and white duck in front of a plant with butterflies fying above


Then it is off for our wander, so left down the river in the general direction of Hackney. We pass immediately under the footbridge - which crosses the river and takes a path past the reservoirs towards Walthomstow, a ten-minute cycle to the longest (apparently, I have not checked my facts) street market in Europe.



There is a small marina on the other side of the river. Some lucky, spoilt, lovely geese have made nested there and the goslings sample all manner of treats from the boat owners. The more ingenious, more bashful Moorhens have crafter their nest from driftwood that rises in the centre of the river itself. Their tiny tots really are walking on water.



Signs at present, too, warn river-goers that this is the season of spring and rebirth. British Waterways, who have done a marvelous job of restoring the area in recent years, are keen to inform about their work. They would urge you, too, not to allow your dogs into the water - indeed if your dog will not walk at heel and is likely to rummage and rampage, it is really best to keep it on the lead. This area has a very delicate ecosystem supporting some very rare species. Best not let the St Bernard bound on the eggs or chase the chucks!



Likewise, the boaters are reminded that they should not stray into shady, overshadowed areas - the spawning ground of frogs and newts and fish and more.



So on we press and before long at all there is a footbridge across the river, which we shall take. As we cross, I point out a group of raggedy looking boats moored together under overhanging tree branches. They share a 'garden' area, which is really a bit of an eyesore. One of the vessels is thoroughly fascination, a 'caraboat' which can be towed by a car, slept in as a caravan, then driven straight into water where it floats and boats. Quite unlike anything else I've seen, although it has seen better days and I would doubt its road-worthiness now. These boats are squatted; shared by people of no other fixed abode. They seem perfectly pleasant and generally friendly, although I've been less than impressed by the fires they make using anything and everything, which pump out toxic black smoke and are hardly environmentally sound. I have often thought, though, I'd like to get me a little boat and join their merry camp.



Their boats are located right by an allotment area in which people from the locale - which consists largely of ex-council or housing association flats, and thereby boasts very few gardens - grow all sorts of fruit, vegetables and plants. The majority of plots - if not all - are dedicated to organic farming methods and a handmade sign proudly declares this at the gate.

A hand clad in a gardening glove holding a pot plant over a map of the world
Behind this, the one o'clock club has its premises. The one o'clock club is a fab British phenomena, largely underpublicised and underrated. Throughout the country, at one o'clock parents gather with their young children to meet each other and let the youngsters play. There are small dedicated areas at which to do so and for lonely or single parents, the club can be a lifeline.



The green-painted shed at the foot of Springfield Park, and its surrounding garden, is often the hive of much activity, bursting with shrieking kids getting stuck into great toys and chattering mothers watching with half an eye.



Tragically, the same cannot be said of the school-like building and its grounds, which incorporate a pretty fun-looking adventure playground, next door. Once a thriving centre for disabled or deprived children and their parents or carers, this project has suffered the same fate as many similarly valid ones in the borough; closed due to lack of funds. It relied quite heavily on government subsidies but Hackney council has been declared bankrupt and consequently countles 'non-essential' services have ben axed. 'Non-essential' apparently includes nursuries, schools, caring and society-based centres and untold others. [I will certainly return to this subject for another posting, but for now I must not get distracted on such a pleasant stroll on this lovely day...]



So across the river and the area we are now entering is Hackney Marshes.


I would like to write more, but have run short of time. I will return to this entry to continue our fantasy journey, so please check in again. I will also be hoping to source more links and make this truly interactive and informative, so if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks for your time

Cheers for the beers

Hugs for the drugs


PeskieMinx

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A556319

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more