Making A Great Okonomiyaki Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Making A Great Okonomiyaki

4 Conversations

Okonomiyaki is a delicious Japanese food. It means 'as you like it'.

You will need:

  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 onion
  • 1/4 cabbage head chopped into 1cm square pieces
  • One handful of frozen (small) prawns, cooked beef, cooked turkey or cooked chicken (or if you really must, pork)
  • A sheet of Nori from your local supermarket, very finely chopped
  • Dried Bonito flakes (optional, but boy do they taste good!)
  • Golden Soya Mayonnaise from Woolworths1 Health Food Section (with or without honey and lemon); this mayonnaise tastes like the Japanese Kewpie Doll mayonnaise

What to do:

  1. Mix the water and flour together then beat in the eggs.
  2. Add the chopped cabbage/onion/meat until everything is well coated with batter.
  3. In a warmed medium size frypan (or even better, use a non-stick pan) with a small amount of oil pour in the batter.
  4. Patiently let the pancake cook through - if you want it authentic keep prodding at it every thirty seconds.
  5. Let someone more dextrous take over. Ideally flip the pancake over in one piece. You may want to slide it onto a plate and then invert the plate onto the pan.
  6. Listen to the dextrous person swear a lot as the pancake goes everywhere.
  7. Once the pancake is cooked through take out to table in pan. Cover in mayonnaise, sauce, nori flakes and bonito flakes.
  8. Stuff yourself silly!
1This is the Australian version of the Woolworths supermarket chain.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A51148

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more