Have you, or has someone close to you, ever suffered from depression? The 'enforced' joviality of the festive season can actually make depression worse for sufferers. It isn't fun just because it should be, is it?
Tell us how you coped, or perhaps still are, coping with depression. This is one subject where talking about it might possibly help to make it slightly better.
Symptoms can include one, or more, of the following:
- Lack of energy
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of sex drive
- Trouble sleeping
- Difficulty concentrating
- Low self-esteem
What sort of people become depressed?
Depressive illness can happen to anyone, irrespective of age or gender. It could happen to you, or to any member of your family.
Depression can might be due to one, or a few of the following:
- Starting a new school, college or job
- A relationship break-up
- Suffering a major illness or seeing a loved one go through it
- Pregnancy or post-natal depression
- Seasonal affective disorder1 (SAD)
- Any major life change
- An undefined reason
Coping with Depression
Do you have any advice for helping people to deal with depression? This might include:
- Advice on who to contact if someone thinks that they might be suffering from depression
- General advice on how to cope
- Advice on contacting a doctor for medical treatment
- Alternative or herbal therapies
- Exercise or sport as therapy
- Counselling: types, effectiveness and availability
- Support organisations
Share your Experiences and Knowledge!
Please tell us about your experiences. An open and frank conversation about your experience could really help someone else through a difficult period of their life. It's surprising how many of us it's happened to, when we talk about it...