A Conversation for Project: Use and Abuse of Gin

I want to contribute

Post 1

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

Write your ideas here....


I want to contribute

Post 2

Phoenix

Greetings smiley - smiley

Hi! I'm Phoenix, one of the ACEs here at H2G2. I heard that you were starting a research project on Gin and Tonics and thought I'd drop by with some info for you ...

You may want to start with the interesting fact that Gin & Tonics were developed to cure malaria (or am I getting that wrong and it was some other disease?). Anyway, when the british were in the East they become suseptable to malaria (or whichever diease it was) and eventually found that Quanine (an ingredient in Tonic Water) was usefull for getting rid of the disease. Well, as you would probably expect, drinking Tonic Water by itself is pretty nasty (unless you've aquired a taste for it) and they had problems getting the british in the East to drink it. Along comes our friend Gin to be mixed with the Tonic Water, which not only made drinking it much more pleasant, but also created an excellent drink that would be remembered from then on, even if it's relationship to the disease was forgotten. So, as you can see, Gin and Tonic came about due to medicinal reasons, then caught on later for it's more pleasurable aspects.

That's the story I've heard anyway about the Earth version of Gin and Tonics. How the gun, underarm deoderant, etc. got created, I have no idea.

On a minor note, the Lime (served in any GOOD Gin and Tonic) being a citrus fruit (and therefore containing Vitamin C) helps to prevent scurvey. Usually the limes used in Gin and Tonics are small, so they won't actually get rid of scurvey if you've already got it, unless you drink A LOT of Gin and Tonics. I don't think limes were added to the original Gin and Tonics, but were instead added after the drink caught on back in Europe. smiley - smiley

I suggest researching this more in depth. As you can see my information is a little fuzzy about some of the details. smiley - winkeye Perhaps some of our fellow researchers can confirm, or expand, on the details.

Hope you find this usefull. smiley - smiley

Remember: Gin and Tonics rock!!! smiley - ok (both the drink, and our Researcher smiley - winkeye)

42!

Phoenix

^..^
smiley - fish


I want to contribute

Post 3

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

This is really cool! Although I had expected something completely different, this is a _really_ neat start. Christmas is saved! I'm really happy now!!! :o)
Anyway - what I had expected was that some guy would take a pack and say "I like this so I'll work on it and when it's done, I'll turn it in." But this way is just one heck of a lot better! I'll just coordinate the documents and have the guys add to them separately. This way more individuals can contribute and each has less work to do. This is far out! I'm really loving it. I hope to get the structure set up tomorrow morning... If not, it will be after X-Mas...

Anyway, thank you for your input. And have a Merry X-Mas. And a safe, sober and drugfree NewYear! NOT! Safe an drugfree - yes. But sober??? No way in hell.

-Gin


I want to contribute

Post 4

Talith (who got bored of being Caroo and thought new h2g2, new name)

Whoops - just realised I should have posted the following to this thread, not started a new one smiley - sadface

"How could I have missed a project on my own personal calling - the drinking of gin?

I offer my humble services to yourself in order to further the understanding of the philistines about this nectar of the gods.

In addition to general comments and suggestions for the whole, I would like to create a scolarly entry listing, recommending and reviewing the main types of gins and tonics and the citrus fruit that best accompanies them (for lime is by no means a given, some are better with lemon, like Cork Dry).

--
Talith"


I want to contribute

Post 5

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

No harm done! Welcome to my team. It's just that I am not really hands-on on this project. I kinda have something more serious to do irl and thus I only have very limited time. I apologize for the inconvenience. Nevertheless I very much welcome your contribution. Go ahead and tell me where you wrote something!

-Gin


Key: Complain about this post