A Conversation for Talking Point: National Identity

St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 1

Crickett

What do you think of the main factors affecting a sense of national identity?

I think national identity stems from a pride about your homeland. That sense of pride may be from coping with adversity, or a colourful history, or beautiful scenery (all of which England has) but there also has to be a movement of people who want to celebrate these things and feel strongly about them (which Ireland and Scotland and Wales have in spades, but the English really don't). National Identity can also be celebrated on a saint's day for example, which again happens in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but not England. Which is a shame.

Do you feel as if you possess characteristics that might be regarded as 'typical' of the people of your nation?

No, but then again I hate conforming to stereotypes. I do like a decent cup of tea though, and I do tend to get through adverse situations with a stiff upper lip.


Is it necessarily dangerous to have a strong feeling of national identity, or the starting point for self-respect, leading to peaceful co-operation with other nations?

It depends who leads the nationalist cause. If the leaders are total loonies then obviously it could lead to bad things. However, if it a movement from the people in general, then I think it is a good thing. Self respect is good. We need more of it!

Do you feel as if you belong to a larger community, such as the European Community - or do you regard yourself as a citizen of the world?

The EC only effects me when I pay VAT (Grr) and want to do something and then can't (Grr again!). No, I am not a citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United Kingdom. I am also English. Unfortunately it is politically unacceptable for me to celebrate this. So instead, I have a jolly old time celebrating St Patrick's Day (I am 1/8th Irish) and St Andrew's Day (I am 1/8th Scottish). And on St George's Day I wear red and white. Always.


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 2

Icy North

I've never understood why the English should feel an affinity with St George. If he existed at all, he wasn't English, he probably didn't speak English and he never set foot in England. He's famous for killing a mythical beast.

St Edmund the Martyr would be a far more logical choice for England's patron saint.


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 3

Crickett

That's true, but St George is the one who everyone knows as being the Patron Saint of England. You got to work with what you have.

St Patrick wasn't Irish. He was probably Welsh!


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 4

FordsTowel

True enough, that St. Patrick wasn't Irish; but that's not the point. He's lauded as the hero of Ireland who chased out the snakes, eh?

smiley - towel


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 5

Bertie

The 17th of may in norway is the national day - every village/town/city has a parade - a lot of people who dont see each other from one year to the next do.
Sure it was invented. The national dress was selected by a commitee - i think the uk needs to be a bit more enthusiastic about things - stiff upper lip eh - we dont want to be seen --------.


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 6

richardbees

There is now an insolvable problem because we are now shackled by a huge range of legislation designed to promote 'multiculturalism' and to avoid giving offence to members of ethnic minorities.

If there were a St Georges day event, priority would be given to ensure that new migrants took part and that Sri Lankan folk dancing, Bangladeshi dragon dancing and Peruvian flute bands etc etc were all included.

The England that was represented by St George no longer exists.


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 7

FordsTowel

I think it's fine to promote multiculturalism, but that doesn't require that people ignore a nation's heroes who should be honoured on a higher, different level than celebrating individual cultures.

St. George may no longer be as important, but he makes more sense than the UK celebrating... oh, Mao Tse Tung, General Custer, or Steve Irwin. Those individuals may be important to the cultures that spawned them, but they shouldn't be integrated into every nations psyche just because those nations may have Chinese, USA, or Australian citizens.

I would expect a certain acceptance and tolerance for foreign religious holidays being celebrated just about anywhere. But, even if each of us wanted to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, we wouldn't want that celebration legislated, eh?

smiley - towel


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 8

lostmonalisa

we have Canada day, the US has 4th of july. Doesn't britain have anything?


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 9

Icy North

Not as Britain. The member countries have their own Saints days, but the English doesn't celebrate theirs. The Welsh and Scottish celebrate their independence (if you can call it that) on those days.

Here's a paean to English/British patriotism: A35471793




St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 10

richardbees

I think Englishness is expressed by a collection of events like the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph, "last night at the proms", the Oxford / Cambridge boat race, a carriage procession from the palace to the city for a visiting head of state....etc

So what on earth could we have on St Georges Day? Massed Morris dancing...heaven forbid


But I agree with the sentiment which has been caused by unrestricted immigration - and a feeling that we have lost our identity and been denied our birthright.


St Georges Day needs to be recognised!

Post 11

Icy North

It was probably always so. We've had regular waves of mass immigration over the years.

I'm always amazed how many of those "Who Do You Think You Are" programmes end up with immigration to the UK from Germany at any point in the 18th to 20th centuries.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more