A Conversation for Talking Point: National Identity

The British as a nation of tea drinkers - a different view.

Post 1

Bertie

To the average Britt tea is a drink of great importance, one could even say that British and Tea ---
On examintaion of the national drink, it happens that every public place it is served you have to drink it before it stews.
Tea - the ordinary "indian" tea contains quite a number of substances - what makes tea taste is a family of substances called aromatics - when tea is made in the ordinary way an extraordinarily small amount of this is released. What makes tea bitter are the tannins - which are very soluble.
Therefore to make a good cup of tea we need more aromatics and less tannins - the funny thing is it can be done - in fact a stewless cup of tea is very easy to make - it so simple that it beggars belief - use less tea - if you use approximately 1/6th of the ordinary amount you can boil it and make a better cup.
Interestingly enough the vast majority of nations do just that.
If the Brits used 1/6 of the amount of tea - someone would make a lot less money.
Now heres a bit of an interesting concept - if what ive said is true then the british cuppa is based on a falsehood, and if tea is synanamous with British - now theres a concept.


Key: Complain about this post

The British as a nation of tea drinkers - a different view.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more