h2g2 Post 10.04.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 10th April 2000

I can really envy Shazz moving away to live in Holland.

But then the British weather does it's usual trick of surprising you. This last week has switched between being horrendously wet and gloriously sunny. But as I write this it's dark, so it doesn't really matter.


It's been a strange week news ways. Over in one of the African countries the new president is turning a blind eye to ex rebels seizing farm land from the white farmers. This could be a really tricky situation, mostly because the English government has seen fit to interfere. I suppose it should in a way, if only because the ex rebels are using the threat of force and violence. Without that, I personally would be completely on their side of that argument. But as a wise man once said,
'Once you bring violence into a debate, you have lost the argument and the respect of your men.'

I have no idea who said that, but I think that it's one of the great
all time quotes.


Over in America, the row seems to be flaring up around that poor little Cuban lad again. Many years from now that kid is going to look back on his life and wonder if there was anything he could have done to have changed anything, but with him there isn't. It all seems to be out of his control. I don't have a stand on this one. In one way it would be better for him to stay in America, as it's supposed to be a better quality of life. But in another way it would be better for him to go back to Cuba with his father. Forgive me for this little rant here, but surely the quality of life in America that is supposed to be better for him is purely from a materialistic viewpoint? Don't get me wrong, I think I would rather live in America than I would Cuba, but most of all I'd rather live with my folks. Has anyone asked the kid? Without the promise of material goods?


I'm also supposed to be putting in a permanent link to the
Obituaries column, which I will
do as soon as I have a bit more time. But at the moment I'm busy trying to organise my wedding so expect to see this cut and pasted over the next few weeks.

(The Power of back-editing sees it done now!... shazz!)


But that is more than enough from me. Thank you to all who wrote into us this week with articles, please keep sending them in. An absence from the Post this week is Wowbagger. He's provided at least one excellent cartoon per week ever since the Post was launched, and is taking this week off due to other commitments, I believe he's gone out enjoying himself.


Pastey

  • 1-2-1

  • This week we reveal the man behind the luxury vacations, Garibaldi.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • The BooK NooK

  • A review of John Grisham's new book - The Brethren

  • Missing Persons

  • Are you or someone you know missing?

    Check here to find out.

  • The House of Yes

  • Need an idea for your next family movie, this might not be it

    but then again it could be just what you were looking for.


  • The Weather

  • Everyone has their Addictions,

    some are just stranger than others.

  • The Think Tank

  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles.

    Whether you're writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling,

    grammar or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read

    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A468236

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more