The Doughnut

0 Conversations

What a work of art the humble doughnut is... perfect in it's simplicity... pleasing to the eye with natural symmetry... in smell, in taste and touch, the most perfect of food. So where did the doughnut come from?

Far back in time, Dutch settlers travelled by sea to America to start new lives; they brought with them the recipe for their favourite food Fried Cakes. These cakes were made from patties of dough that were fried in oil. Unfortunately the patties often did not cook all the way through, which left the middle of the Fried Cakes soft and doughy. So some bright thinking cook decided to place walnuts or hazelnuts in the centre of their Fried Cakes, to disguise the uncooked bit. Thus the Dough-Nut was born...

Below is the recipe for Jam doughnuts, my personal favourite, if you don't like jam, then leave it out.

  • 1 package yeast

  • 1/4 cup lukewarm water

  • 1 cup scalded milk

  • 2 tbs. shortening

  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 1 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg

  • 1 beaten egg

  • 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

  • Thick jam (you choose flavour)

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Combine next six ingredients and allow to cool. Add yeast, egg and milk mixtures to the flour to make soft dough. Knead until smooth and let double in bulk. Punch down; roll out 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a floured 3-inch diameter cookie cutter. Place a teaspoon of jam on half a circle.
Dampen the edge, fold over and pinch together tightly. Let rise until double. Fry in deep fat at 375 degrees.

Makes 1-1/2 dozen.


And now the tale of... Doughnuts and Greebo T. Cat



A few years ago, on a cold August night, Greebo was born. She lay huddled by her mothers side, as the freezing summer snows lashed against her sodden fur, shivering uncontrollably. Suddenly from out of the northern sun a cat appeared walking on tip toes. He introduced himself as the Great Cheshire Cat, and took Greebo away to his home far, far away, just off the M1. The Cheshire Cat taught Greebo all the mystical ways, as he had been taught by the cat that came before. She learnt of far off lands, and of a place called The In-Ter-Net, which she travelled to and became as one with the people she found there. To accomplish many of the mystical things that The Cheshire Cat taught her, Greebo was required to ingest great quantities of energy food. The best food that Greebo found was the humble doughnut, which tasted great and gave her the much-needed energy, she required. So Greebo came to h2g2, and she has gladly made her home amongst the many varied researchers she has found here... who ply her with doughnuts, and indeed worship her in the manner to which she is now accustomed too...

The End... Or is it...

Tune in next week... Same time... Same channel... ~grin~


Greebo


10.04.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A504785

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more