Smudger Snippets

3 Conversations

I suppose it's because I have so much time on my hands these days, that all these memories come flooding back to me.

Little Things

It's round about this time of year when we start to use all those toiletries that we were given at Christmas, you know the sort of thing, shower gel, body spray and so on. Well, today was the day I ran out of shaving gel, so I searched the shelf in our bathroom where all those kinds of things are kept, but not having my reading glasses on I was finding it difficult to read the information on the aerosols that were there. This particular one had the name Gillette on it, so I naturally assumed it was shaving gel, and gave it a good shake and aimed the nozzle at my hand, as I usually do when shaving. So you can imagine my surprise when out came this cold wet substance which turned out to be deodorant.

This of course left me feeling rather silly, so I once again searched the shelf to see if I could find a can of shaving gel, and did indeed find a small can which came with a razor as well. So after removing the wrapping and checking again to make sure that this was actually shaving gel I looked for the nozzle where the gel comes out , and then shook the can vigorously before applying some to my hand: much to my surprise the gel came flying out of the other side of the can and squirted onto the wall beside the sink. At this point I was beginning to regret the whole idea of having a shave in the first place and started to clean up the gel from the wall. It seems I had mistaken the opening on the can and had held it back to front.

So I have decided in future to wear my reading glasses when selecting such items in the future. It also reminded me of another time years ago when I was working away from home and had returned home for a long weekend and was having a shower before going out for the evening. I found what I thought to be a can of deodorant, as it was the same size and colour as the one I had been using, and proceeded to spray my armpits. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered it was my wife’s hair spray!

I had forgotten all about that until I started writing this—well it’s not the sort of the thing you bring up in every day conversation, is it?

Another little thing I have noticed which has happened on more than one occasion to me is, taking my medication. I normally take all the four pills I need late in the evening, just before going to bed, as one of them is a muscle relaxant to allow me to sleep as the muscles in my small of my back stay tense and cause the pain that used to keep me awake all night. These pills come in those small plastic wrapping strips and have those annoying little bubbles which you have to burst to get the pills out.

As I have rather large hands I find removing these pills difficult and more often than not the pill comes flying out of the plastic bubble, lands on the floor, then proceeds to roll right to the very back of the settee on which I am sitting! It doesn’t matter where I sit really as every time one of those little jumping jack pills is going to fly out of the strip, land on the floor and then make its way to the furthest point of the room and go right under one bit of furniture in the living room. Yet I just know that if I wanted to do that on purpose, I would sit there for days trying to achieve that, and it would not happen. It’s just of those little things that happen just to test us.

Smudger Snippets Archive

Smudger

05.02.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A46606854

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more