A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Do clones have a soul?

Post 1

Transparanta

Recently I spoke with a friend on the subject... He almost made me furious. In his opinion the only reason why clones should ever be is to maintain our life so that we are able to do what we like and what we want. That he says is the path to true democracy. Wasn't democracy about equal rights or I am in total ignorance of theory?


Do clones have a soul?

Post 2

Tango

Hi! This is a very interesting topic, but unfortunately not many people will see it here. Try posting to <./>askh2g2</.> and you might get some more responses. smiley - smiley

Tango


Do clones have a soul?

Post 3

very cherry president

If researchers can just make parts like ears and skin, why not figure out a way to make organs, so they don't have to make "body farms". Also, do you believe that a human clone was really created...as in a tangible baby to hold, or do you think that they just fertilized an egg and implanted it...this is a very controversial topic, which i take great interest in...


Do clones have a soul?

Post 4

very cherry president

If researchers can just make parts like ears and skin, why not figure out a way to make organs or limb and muscles, so they don't have to make "body farms". Also, do you believe that a human clone was really created...as in a tangible baby to hold, or do you think that they just fertilized an egg and implanted it...this is a very controversial topic, which i take great interest in...


Do clones have a soul?

Post 5

bix

here's a question we should ask ourselves...what is to become of using a dna signature to identify individuals? catching criminals using dna will become an imperfect science. just a thought.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 6

bix

as far as i've been able to determine, cloning is still in it's infancy. if i understand correctly, the animals we've been able clone are far from healthy. they are beset with a whole host of ailments.and we shouldn't confuse cloning to reproduce with using cloned cells for stem cell research.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 7

P-stoff

It's true but with stem cell technology we will be able to (hopefully) cure people with uncureable diseases or illnesses. Suchas Paralysis and Smallpox. So it could have it's advantages.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 8

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

do monozygotic twins have a soul each? depends if you believe in souls.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 9

bix

i believe monozygotic's would indeed have a soul...after all, even though they come from one egg, they are whole beings, separate and wholly unique spiritually.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 10

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

'Xactly! and they are natural clones.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 11

Lord Mallory Ringess - Voodoo Warrior to the rich and famous, owner of the Necronomicon and wearer of nice hats

Perhaps clones would share a soul, and the more clones the thinner the soul...or maybe not...ummm...sorry.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 12

Ste

Is the sole carried in the cytoplasm of the nucleus?


Do clones have a soul?

Post 13

Ste

OR the nucleus smiley - grr


Do clones have a soul?

Post 14

Ste

Sole!! smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - biggrin

I'll start again:

"Is the soul carried in the cytoplasm or the nucleus?"

smiley - ta

Stesmiley - earth


Do clones have a soul?

Post 15

breakfastlunchandtea

Do clones have a soul?
According to a recent straw poll of man-on-the-street on the news (BBC, I think) most people seem to think that clones would *not* have a soul. ???! I wonder how they framed this question, because this answer seems to me nonsensical.

If a soul means a ticket to Heaven / reincarnation / whichever religious belief system floats your boat, well, obviously this would be a personal view and the consequences would depend on what that religion said about that.

But if a soul means the right to be treated with the dignity and respect we owe to every human on this planet - well if scientists *did* ever manage to create true clones, then of course they would have souls, because they would have just as much humanity as the person they were originally cloned from.

I think the problem in the public perception comes from the fact that semi-humans such as zombies, Frankensteins, and the "clones" in the last Star Wars film are meant to be unsettling. They play on people's underlying fear of what it might mean to lose their uniqueness, and perhaps their intelligence and therefore their capacity for free will.

This is a difficult philosophical problem, but I think even a gone-wrong clone (like an epsilon in Huxley's "Brave New World") would have more similarity to a child or a senile elderly person (who both deserve the same sort of respect that we owe to any human) than to a cat or dog (which are not human, and we have a different but still very important set of responsibilities towards).

Whether we have the right to risk creating gone-wrong clones is a different and very important question and I think the answer is NO. It would be a horrible thing to do. Turning the original question back on itself, I think we would have to lose our collective souls, or sell them to the devil, to allow this.


If you think a soul is something that can be physically isolated, like a molecule that can reside in the nucleus or the cytoplasm, then you've totally lost me there I'm afraid.

breakfastlunchandtea


Do clones have a soul?

Post 16

bix

and will clones have "soul" for that matter...ala james brown.


Do clones have a soul?

Post 17

breakfastlunchandtea

If the Raelians really have succeeded in cloning a person, then I hope the clone *does* have soul a la James Brown ... then he wouldn't stand for any of that alien cult nonsense smiley - winkeye


Do clones have a soul?

Post 18

Researcher 216319

I think clones do have souls becuase the people who create them have souls so why shouldn't they?


Do clones have a soul?

Post 19

%- | ?


i do not believe that ANY HUMAN has a "soul". i believe that most humans are tricked by illusions created by the mind into feeling as if we have "souls", something "spiritual", something beyond the physical and the mind. there is no reason to believe in anything besides the physical substrate [the brain] and the correlating subjective experience [the mind]. nothing "spiritual" needs to be invoked. it is not logical.

but, IF naturally conceived humans have "souls", then logic would lead us to believe that clones must also have "souls".
the alternative would be to presume that something divine happens when a sperm and an egg combine such that a "soul" appears.

PeteY out! smiley - ok


Do clones have a soul?

Post 20

Gaffer

Any real distinction between cloned human beings and un-cloned human beings is absurd. "Clones" aren't some new form of life. A clone is a person, exactly the same as every other person who has ever lived on this planet in all respects excepting the manner of their conception and birth.


Key: Complain about this post