A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

what is the meaning of life?

Post 521

Recumbentman

Don't apologise, that's good stuff.

Thou shalt not kill is extraordinarily easy to understand.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 522

Kirpster

Maybe to easy, to understand and abuse. It doesn't matter where it comes from, but surely the sanctity of human life should be more sacred...?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 523

hasselfree

We generally justify 'killing' with an appearance in court to review the details'evidence.
Even the pitifull child killer gets this privilege.
It seems to me that S.H has been charged and found guilty without without a formal process.
When I hear politicians calling for his death, (as opposed to removal from power)it sort of shocks my system.
It seems to me that he is doing exactly the same things he was doing when he was supported by the West in the war against Iran, who were the 'bad' guys in those days. It's a familiar scenario to the situation in Afghanistan. but know we're justifying his death on the same grounds that we appeared to support him for years ago.

Some christians believe that the bible tells them to fight so called holy wars and American preachers are instilling the idea in people's minds that god wants us to defend 'good' against 'evil.'
This of course was exactly the justification that men were given to fly planes into the twin towers and it always surprises me that people can't see the connection.
Kirp you're right, revenge - retaliation is the reason for on going war fare in the world.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 524

Amanda

smiley - groan


what is the meaning of life?

Post 525

Kirpster

I've read a fair bit of the Bible, and nowhere that I can see does it say to fight evil - just to keep urself good.
People always say that theres a fine line between good and evil, but I think its like a black/white spectrum, u know what I mean? One end has, like, a millimetre width of pure black, representative of pure evil, and the other end, 3 metres away, has the same, but white and representing pure goodness, and the 3 metres in the middle is various shades of grey, which is hard to see if its good or bad, its some of both. Thats just my opinion, and I know a lot of people who disagree with me on that!

Anyway, hassel, glad you agree... Bush does everything in the name of God, whatever happened to 'If someone slaps your left cheek, offer him your left'? I know that doing that will cause more attacks from Iraq, but why he feels that mass death and destruction is the only possible response is beyond me.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 526

Amanda

You remove him from power, he is still able to do his stuff.
Plus, how do you remove him from power?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 527

Kirpster

I don't have a clue!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 528

Amanda

My point exactly


what is the meaning of life?

Post 529

Andy

i beleive in a bit of destiny

i think the meaning of life is a pointless quest, as as soon as some1 finds it out, the answer is achieved, and that is the end. it will be over.

to prove my point: 4 + 4 = 8
ne1 can see that strait away, and will not doubt wether it is right or not, as it is right. this not doubting means that the problem is over, time to move on to the next. i think we are a problem that something is trying to figure out. Once we provide the answer, we wont exist.

my opinion is stop with the HUGE problems, and stick to the small ones, like wot is 4 lunch.

call it Kismet, Karma, or Destiny, or wotever you want(i suggest Bob as it confuses people) but i belive our Bob is to not exist.

as a sumary of the whole human race, i believe it is like this(not mathematically acurate):
ax + bx/23 * Gh + gt- 45 / Cos(30) and so on
in other words, we are all a constant. the trouble is working out the constant, that is wot a single life is for, just another number in an equation.

finally, once all the numbers have been worked out, the final problem will be presented, and that will be represented by some natural mutation(perhaps) and then our Bob will be gone.
the problem is solved and it equals 42.



Thought for next time:
Maybe our existence(accumulatively) is like one question in an exam that some1 is taking, and they are the same in something else's
mind boglong!!


so next time you add 4 and 4, just remember how many things live and die, inorder for your life to proceed to the next part of the equation!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 530

Kirpster

I like your theory! Except the part where I'm part of an exam question, bcos that would mean that I'm helping to make someone very unhappy!
Also we'd probably be very confusing to whoevers doing the exam, bcos we are the product of 5 extinctions, so they'd have to explain that...

I hope they pass!

I also believe in some kind of destiny, for the big stuff you know? Not like its pre-determined what colour t-shirt I'm gonna wear today, but in when and who you're born to, when you die etc. I also believe in soul mates- but you can fall in love with some1 who isn't your soulmate - you can have both, you're soulmate doesn't have to be a member of whatever your sexual preference is. Thats what I think anyway!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 531

Extreme Rainbow

I don't get the whole "42" thing. I thought this was a real discussion?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 532

netty

there is an actual meaning to life??? smiley - yawn


what is the meaning of life?

Post 533

Amanda

is there?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 534

Kirpster

Who knows...

This is a real discussion, 42 is just the answer that Douglas Adams gave to life, the universe and everything. Trouble is, no-one knows what the question is. Until Arthur and Ford found it 'What is 6*9'!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 535

Mac (The Internally Distracted)

Hence the pointless search for a meaning for something which has none.Ask yourself "What is the colour of flower?"; "What is the shape of water?"; "What is the size of rock?"; "What is the sound of music?"
As I write this, I can see a meadow with sheep and there are more than there were yesterday yet the farmer has not put more in to the meadow: That's life.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 536

hasselfree

Mac you explain what life IS but that's different to it's meaning.
and then there is meaning in the individual and meaning of the whole thing.
The colour of flower is what our senses perceive it to be, it could be different to different people.
The shape of water is the shape of the thing that contains it.
The size of rock is perceived different to different people unless you contain it with measurements.
The sound of music is a dreadful musical film with Julie Andrews. smiley - biggrin
there maybe more sheep in the field this morning and tomorrow, but there is no more or less energy in the Universe than there was at it's beginning.
We can choose to decide whether life is about procreation and renewal on a short time line basis. Or we can choose to believe that there is also purpose beyond that.
Since there is no direct evidence of either being correct both choices are equally valid.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 537

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

"whatever happened to 'If someone slaps your left cheek, offer him your left'?"

Probably the same thing that happened to another Jesus quote, "I come not to bring peace, but the sword.".


what is the meaning of life?

Post 538

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

thay were forgoten about


what is the meaning of life?

Post 539

Jgo Lude

what is the meaning of life
if we knew we'd die of fear
so i think you should make the most of it
and get on with life my dear
42 as got nothing to do with it
it's plain for all to see
what is the meaning of life
why the hell are you asking me


what is the meaning of life?

Post 540

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

was that poetery


Key: Complain about this post