A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

what is the meaning of life?

Post 501

Amanda

where is up here?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 502

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

Scotland....(in general)


what is the meaning of life?

Post 503

Amanda

I am half scottish.
smiley - smiley
My father was born in Motherwell.
I aint been there since I was 2.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 504

Amanda

I am half scottish.
smiley - smiley
My father was born in Motherwell.
I aint been there since I was 2.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 505

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

i live in a town called Kilmarnock
its neer Glasgow but not much happens hear


what is the meaning of life?

Post 506

Amanda

I have heard of it. Is it still raining there?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 507

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

no its only slightly overcast.......
it dosent rain all the time
it just seems like it


what is the meaning of life?

Post 508

Amanda

Sorry, I bet people take the micky about the weather don't they?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 509

Kirpster

But murderers are usually really insecure people, so they are seeking power by killing...

What I really meant by the original comment was on a world stage, you know?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 510

hasselfree

Yes. and who is advocating the murder of Saddam?
All the 'normal' people ?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 511

daraline, keeper of unusual rats and deranged hamsters

the length of a piece of string is twice the distance from the middle to the endsmiley - biggrin.
the meaning of life is a cold drink on a hot day or vice versasmiley - stiffdrink.
xx


what is the meaning of life?

Post 512

Amanda

Some things can not be compared like this.
Saddam H needs to be stopped, agreed? If the only way to stop someone from doing what he is doing is to kill them, is that the same as killing a child cause you feel like it?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 513

daraline, keeper of unusual rats and deranged hamsters

smiley - sorry for offending you. am a newbie here and was trying to reply to someone who had posted a message about the length of a piece of string in the "meaning of life" coversation and i obviously managed to reply in the wrong place.
i am now going to enjoy a mug of smiley - coffee as i am feeling distinctly chilled.
fare ye well.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 514

Amanda

You did not offend me. Hello! Welcome.
I was replying to Hasslefree, the message B4 yours.
You are right about life being like string though. smiley - choc


what is the meaning of life?

Post 515

hasselfree

Well I suppose that is the BIG question, when is killing not killing ?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 516

Recumbentman

When the victim was not alive at the time (as in Gosford Park).


what is the meaning of life?

Post 517

Amanda

I should have said justified?
Killing a killer is justified I think, killing anyone else is not.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 518

hasselfree

So the next big question is how do we justify killing and who makes the judgement call?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 519

Kirpster

I don't think killing is ever justified, but there's a lot of people out there (everyone in the world, I think) taking actions for their belief.

Can I be a bit controversial for a sec without being bombarded plz?!?

Hitler said that he was doing what God wanted. Prove that he wasn't. How do we know that they are not working on behalf of God or Allah or whatever God(s) they believe in? I don't actually believe that they are, but thats their justification, and thats the justification we use in going after them. However, in retaliation, the Americans are breaking at least one commandment and several parts of the Bible. We can never decide whose justified in what action, because the justification they're using is unworldly. Many people might say (if they found cause to) that its beyond us to justify it. Which is a problem, because we're gonna end up having a war about it. No-one will ever decide whose right, because its too hard, deciding between two such deep-seated beliefs.

Phew....must take a breather b4 I start ranting again!

The way I see it, and I'm not that hot on the issue, bcos I find the news depressing so go out of my way to avoid it, its like this. The original attack, 9/11, was a retaliation for many things occuring over the years, starting with the Americans and Brits taking Israel and giving it back to the Jews, forcing the Muslims to the outskirts. However, that was just the Americans taking it back after the muslims took it. There is this long line of action and reaction, which doesn't look like stopping, even if 'we' take out S.H. now, give it 10-20 years max, and someone will retaliate to that.

I don't have a solution, and apologise bcos I'm really just straighting it out in my own head!

We know what the US are going to do. They feel that killing a killer is justified, shown by the presence of capital punishment. Equally, Iraq feels the same. Whoever takes the action, the other will take the reaction. Blair will join in bcos he's too power hungry to hold back like the states did in WW2.

I don't know hat the point to this message is, I think I just got some things straight in my head!

By the way, I have just discovered that my date of birth adds up to 42! (3+0+1)*(1+9)+8-6=42
Teehee!
42 IS the meaning of life!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 520

Kirpster

Sorry for my excessively long posting!


Key: Complain about this post