A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Getting out of a Plateau

Post 1

grr

I've been drumming for quite a while but never really been good. It could be 2 years since I last had a lesson, but I have reached a complete plateau where I'm losing motivation to play and my creativity with the drums is none existant(never had a large amount to begin with). I've started playing guitar, and getting really frustrated with being a beginner at that, and having some of the technical skills but no creativity on drums. Any suggestions for getting out of a plateau, or advice with either of the instruments?


Getting out of a Plateau

Post 2

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Is it possible that it's your lack of proficiency which is causing you to feel you lack creativity? Could your lack of motivation really be a lack of people with whom to play (and bounce ideas off)?

(SEF)


Getting out of a Plateau

Post 3

Danny B

I'd second what SEF says - playing music with other people can be a very good way to lift your own performance.


Getting out of a Plateau

Post 4

Kaz

yeah. I got really stuck with my guitar playing. I know how you feel. I've taken up lessons for the first time and that's helped. Not only with technique but also having someone else in the room to discuss things with.

I know this might sound a bit chiched or whatever, but now when I get bored or stuck playing the same stuff I take Martin Simpson's advice. He said if ever you're stuck in a rut do something different, something you wouldn't usually do, when you play.

For example, just for the hell of it I used a different tuning on my guitar the other day (not even one in the book) and got some really interesting results. It helped to get me back into practising and learning new stuff.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more