A Conversation for Roskilde 2000 - What happened

Roskilde Deaths

Post 1

The Viking

Tragic.
I was there, and I saw it happen. I can only express my deepest regards to their relatives.

Security.
Why did it happen?
Well first of all, because the sound on the speakers furtherst away from the stage were not functioning properly. This caused people to surge forward - such a surge - that I had trouble breathing. I were at the REM concert last year at the same location, and I stood in the second row, and the surge was nothing compared to this. I've spoken with one of the security guys at the psychological crisis center, and he had talked to the friends of the first guy that went down, and they said he might have O.D.'d. When he went down he brought some people with him in the fall, and panic started - people got hurt.
What can we do to prevent it from happening again?
It is my opinion that the security at the Orange stage at Roskilde is topstandard, but you can always put up more "Wave-breakers" to lessen the push from the crowd behind you, but it could happen again - and it probably will (remember Murphy's Law!), I can't see any reasonable action which will guarantee that this will not be repeated.

The manegement.
What should they've done?
Excactly what they did. They had 74.000 people who, if they cancelled, would have to either leave Roskilde the same day, or stay at hotels. They train capacity that saturday on trains going from Roskilde doesn't even cover 74.000, not even if you just took a train filled it with festival-goers and then sent them to whereever the train is going!
Of course they could not possibly cancel the remaining part of the festival - though I think that they should have respected that the bands set on Orange Stage didn't want to play.

Then what can we do?
Pay our respects to the dead, praise our goddess of luck for keeping her hand over us that night and get on with our lives.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 2

Sam

We've been at Roskilde, too with about a dozen people.
By talking about our different views of this accident these are the thoughts about it:
It had been raining quite long on this day, so the ground was a bit slippery with mud.
People crowded together in front of the stage, it kept warmer against the rain.
One of my friends saw some people at the end of the crowd linking hands and running into the crowd, maybe because they were bored, maybe to get warm - I'm sure they didn't meant harm.
This (for crowds not unusual) pushing caused 'push waves' in the crowd - everybody pushed steps half a step forward and pushed someone in front of him - still not unusual for crowds.
With shoes muddy, ground wet, someone was unlucky and slipped, most certain against someone else who too did not have the sure footing to hold himself up. Well, and with a few people in the thick of the crowd falling they took quite a lot of others with them.
And some of these had too much weight of other people on them so they could not breathe anymore - I think with the full weight of two to four people on your chest you won't be able to inflate it anymore.

All in all this was real bad luck. But I'd rather think we're lucky this kind of accident don't happen more often.

Still I don't think security could have done something.


What made me angrywas the news reaction to this: most articles I saw or read talked about panic and histery, but I never saw large scale panic at roskilde festival.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 3

OB1 (retired)

I heard that about the speakers at the back (forgot to mention that in my article, sorry).

I think this could of been (as you said) one of the main causes. I have been to the main stage (sometimes near the front) last year too, and as you say it was not *that* bad.

Have you seen anything about the charity fund the organisers talked about setting up?

I do think the problem about Oasis and PSB's cancelling, was the reason they gave for cancelling. Part one of the reason was respect, fair enough. But part two (and the main reason) was they believe the security was not good enough. They would not play unless it was increased! The police had already given the 'all clear' about security, but this was not good enough for them. Even though both bands have played there before with the same level of security.

/Shaun


Roskilde Deaths

Post 4

OB1 (retired)

As I have said, I really do not believe the mud had the effect you believe it did. I was looking at the ground in front of the stage the next morning and it was the least muddy place there.

I agree that the media reaction about panic was stupid.

I found a very good article in the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet last night, I shall translate this later.

The Danish politicans are already jumping on the band wagon and arguing what went wrong, who was to blame and if the festival should be stopped forever! What is it with the press and politicans? Always feeding off each other, sick.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 5

mez

Tell me ppl, there has been sketchy reports on the news in Australia that an Australian guy was involved, no name, no age released... does that fit in with what u guys know?


Roskilde Deaths

Post 6

Rubber Face

There was an Australian guy that got hurt at the concert. He's still in hospital as far as I know. Critically hurt. He's 22 years old and according to the news on the 3rd of July they have him on life support. Poor guy.

It was a horrible accident and I agree that it makes you appreciate your family and friends in a stronger way.

I was at the festival and I think that it's not until I got home that I realised what had happened. While at the festival it all seemed so strange and distant - even though it in some ways was more close.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 7

Bumblebee

I am sorry to tell you that the young Australian never woke up from coma.
They just said on the radio that he died today.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 8

OB1 (retired)

Thank you for the extremely sad news.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 9

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

The todays news about those young Australian upset us all very much. I hope, the other 3 guys, who are also in not very good shape will make it.

I think, there were nothing the security could really do more. For me, it was a tragic coincidence and I didn't like the way of reporting about it by the media.

People who says, Roskilde should be closed, are just not fair. This festival has a 30 years old tradition and allthough it's deeply tragic what happened this year, the Festival in Roskilde should be open again next year.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 10

OB1 (retired)

Our thoughts are with those three guys.

I agree that Roskilde should not be closed, which is part of my reasons for setting up a memorial website. I hope that not only can we remember those that lost their lives, but show that we can and should continue on with such wonderful events as the Roskilde Festival.

/Shaun


Roskilde Deaths

Post 11

Kheldar (Don't hate the media, Become the media)

Let's just hope that everybody has learned something from this. People will think at least twice before crowding forward and stuff like that. I wonder what the mood at the Lowlands festival (end of August in Holland) will be like...
Hopefully thoughtful, but like I've read a couple of times, we have to enjoy and make it a great time as well.

Thank you for your time,

Kheldar


Roskilde Deaths

Post 12

OB1 (retired)

Are you going to that Festival?

I hope that people will contribute to my Roskilde website and share their lesson's with everyone else.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 13

Kheldar (Don't hate the media, Become the media)

I'm sure they will. I know for sure that the people from Alphen (where I live) were all pretty shook up by the news, and most of them are going to Lowlands, so I'm pretty sure we'll think about this all when we get there...


Roskilde Deaths

Post 14

Bistroist

OB1, thank you very much for putting up this memorial page, Santragenius pointed me here, I wasn't at the concert cause I don't like the music, but I very much recognice your description of the shocked mood Saturday.

Our camp was near the train station, and watching crying people carrying their bags by from early morning was almost to much to handle.

Tragic is the only word.


~Bistro


Roskilde Deaths

Post 15

OB1 (retired)

It would be really good if you find the time to write a brief description of what you saw and how you felt. I really would like to get as many views of this as possible.


Roskilde Deaths

Post 16

bigalthefirst( patron saint of patron saints)

I,ve just realised I stayed there when I went hitch-hiking round Denmark and Sweden afetr my first degree, some time ago now,heartfelt feelings to all those involved with this awful unnecessary tragedy.

LOve and peace big al


Key: Complain about this post