Talking Point: Competitiveness

8 Conversations

The Apprentice: Sir Alan Sugar.

Competition. Good for us, according to the free-market system. Bad for us, according to the people who want to stamp out sports days in schools around the country. Take a peek inside the boardroom of BBC One's The Apprentice, and you'll see friends and team-mates suddenly turn on each other in a bid to survive a sacking. Sitting silent in the boardroom, or worse, admitting that you've messed up a task, would be the same as booking your taxi ride off the show.

Wanting to win - no matter what - is clearly seen as A Good Thing in these candidates vying for a six-figure job as Sir Alan Sugar's apprentice. Is competitiveness the trait that marks out successful people, more than intelligence, talent or all-round ability? So, on to the starting blocks for this week's Talking Point - we want to know:

  • What do you think of competitiveness - is it good or bad?

  • What's the most competitive thing you've ever done?

  • What the most competitive act you've ever come across yourself?

  • Would you ever enter a talent show, or reality game show like I'd Do Anything or The Apprentice?

  • Do you think competitiveness is affected by your place in the family? Are younger children more competitive than eldest children?

  • Why are some parents so competitive for their children?

  • Have you ever come across a 'pushy parent'?

  • Is competitiveness encouraged in British society or not?

  • What's the stupidest competition, dare or bet you've ever been involved in?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A36526115

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more