A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 61

Witty Moniker

Exceptin' those that had that high maintenance Farah Fawcett hairdo.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 62

Todaymueller

I have in my hand a tin of vo5 extreme style texturising gum to sculpt and define any style . On the back of the tin it says 'great for scrunching into curls' , 'long lasting extra firm hold ' sounds like just the ticket for a quiff .
I am a dapper dan man myself !

best fishes .....tod


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 63

jollywinegums

My mother gleefuly reminded me that I used to put sellotape on the sides of my hair at night to keep it straight.We had visitors at the time.Worse than showing the naked baby pics: smiley - doh The tape left little red rectangular marks on my cheeks all morning.smiley - silly


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 64

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Yup sported one of them quiff things for a couple of years, brlycreamed from a tin, looked a lot like the toothpaste tin, grew it out by time was seventeen...much prefer it long now


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 65

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Marv, if I can find someone to take my picture, I will. I promise.

Courtesy is, I believe, the only hootooer to see me with straight hair, and his response was something akin to "wow. that's different." A man of few words, our Courtesy.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 66

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I had something I was going to say about hair, other than my beard, I forgot.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 67

FG

Oy, when MR and I were in high school it was all "Flock of Seagulls". Not an attractive look for everyone, we'll admit. The early and mid-80s, they were hard on those of us with unruly hair. I don't know of a single mousse that can control the haystack that rests atop my noggin.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 68

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Well, I can tell you what I do, but you're going to think I'm weird. First, never, ever wash your hair with shampoo. Second, condition it every day. Third, blot it dry, and then try, very hard, to not touch it.

It's that first step, isn't it? Haven't used shampoo in...3 years? And it works. Really.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 69

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

How ~is~ Courtesy anyway? Tell him his company is missed here.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 70

FG

Ugh. If I don't wash my hair every day (except for the odd camping trip or severe illness) I feel absolutely disgusting. I can't go a day in good health without the bubbly stuff, let alone three years. Call me a pampered American.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 71

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

He's good. Busy.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 72

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Good night all.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 73

Sol

*Totters in and collapses in the general direction of a chair*

Unfortunately I'm only teaching half time. Which actually means more work as I start earlier and have to plan lessons and do all the marking in approximately half an hour a day, assuming I don't have difficult trainees who need Extra Help.

Except I'm not allowed to call them trainees anymore because my collague who is new to the management game but is in charge of this course has decided that 'trainee' is demeaning so will not be used. And cunningly told the trainees his theory so any of us caught using the word look mean.

But the teaching is fab. We are doing describing trends at the moment, so I am spending my morning with line graphs and phrases like 'Cecom's profits rose sharply from X to Y at the beginning of the year before plummeting to Z where they bottomed out and remained steady for two months. At the beginning of May things picked up slightly and then profits soared to a peak of...'

I spent my afternoon yesterday with the rainstorm coming in through the roof and a trainee getting hysterical about the electrics; another trainee who waited until the last possible moment, when it was too late to do anything about it to tell me he is going to be at the mosque at the exact time he is supposed to be teaching on Friday; the closure of the local tube for the bomb scare resulting in no students; the photocopier deciding to break down for the first time ever and when I tried to crack a joke about it another collague told me that not only was I being rude to her but that I have been making her life unpleasant by being rude to her on a regular basis for the last few weeks. She doesn't like my tone. Pot, kettle, is what I say, or rather bit my tongue very carefully not to say. Because that _would_ have been rude.

Oh and the people whose essays I marked last week are protesting because I got half of them to resubmit. They are half right: it's a badly worded assignment (not one of ours). But they are supposed to include tasks they would do in class and becuase half of them only described them generally, I can't see if they would work or not, so I asked them to provide me with the materials.

And this is the easy week. Next week, marking commences again for this new course.

On the upside, on the evuidence of their first lessons, my new lot of trainees can actually teach.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 74

Sol

Oh and Happy 4th July to the USA.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 75

Spaceechik, Typomancer

"Oh and Happy 4th July to the USA"

Happy news all 'round! I'm very glad to see that Allen Johnston, the BBC reporter that was kidnapped 4 months ago in Gaza, was released today. It helps that there's GOOD news, sometimes. smiley - smiley


LP, how did your test go? I have to wear one of those things ever couple of months, myself -- and due again at the end of this month.smiley - sadface (I *hate* the electrode tape, that gummy stuff from the tape takes days to come off completely).


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 76

Spaceechik, Typomancer

smiley - zen Preview is my friend...smiley - zen "every", I meant every! The heat is making me stupid, yeah, that's the ticket.


Also, forgot to mention -- I'm sorry to hear that the UK is still being so rudely soaked. Is it still flooding there? smiley - yikes

If only you *could* just pack some of that up and ship it to us, in So Cal. smiley - erm


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 77

Agapanthus

*Tries to waft some of the clouds towards SoCal*

Happy 4th of July. Do we have a fire-work smiley?

Would you like a cup of smiley - tea, Sol? That all sounds somewhat... annoying. What is it with the colleague with absolutely no sense of humour? Was it HER pet photocopier? My best tactic for dealing with that kind of telling-off is to burst into tears and shriek 'How can you be so insensitive?' and run away. Leaving them feeling they've somehow been very stupid and missed something important. I haven't used it myself, but I have a cousin who used it to BRILLIANT effect on a very grumpy boss-woman who thought cousin's attempt to lighten mood was 'unprofessional'. Heh heh heh.

I have a colleague with no sense of humour, but he expresses it by taking every single thing I say literally. Must not be ironic, must not exaggerate for effect, must not use sarcasm, must not be dead-pan, must not be fanciful... A sky-light cracked, leading to a section of the Library of Glum being roped off for a week, so I rolled my eyes and growled 'oh, bl**dy MARVELLOUS,' and he gave me a ten minute lecture on how it was not marvellous at all as the broken glass endangered students but the roping off made librarianing harder... It was jaw-dropping.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 78

Teuchter

Wonderful news about the Beeb chap!

And a happy 4th July to everyone on the other side of the pond.

There was more I intended to say but ... smiley - run to make coffee for the plasterer who's here to do the last wee bit.


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 79

Titania (gone for lunch)

Happy 4th of July to the USians!

*sulks*

It seems we won't be able to buy iPhones in Sweden until Christmas, and that's a *very* optimistic estimate. And importing one from the US would make phone calls extremely expensive since, obviously, the American iPhones are locked to AT&T - which means all calls, even local ones, would be redirected over the US. Harumph!

*mind boggles at Ag's dead serious colleague*

Oh dear - I like to tease my colleagues (rough but hearty atmosphere at w*rk) but if anyone was to take my teasing 100% seriously - ouch!


8EXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 80

Titania (gone for lunch)

*replaces with smiley - disco*


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more