A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 101

U195408

thanks Z. That does make sense. I think the US system is geared towards creating research doctors - which is kind of stupid really, b/c most (at least 90%?) of doctors aren't working as professors/researchers. Plus, it adds a ton of time & cost onto the training.

I apologize if I contributed to the post # 42 debacle, I did post something along the lines of "now you're only 5 away" - it just seemed that the convo was about that. Being new to the salon, it didn't bother me, but I can easily imagine how at the 69th conversation it would get a little "tired" or "boring" to say the least.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 102

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

UCI has an excellent medical school, but they have what they call dual track docs. One track is for the researchers, and the other track is for those who want to deal directly with patients. It includes courses on bedside manner, how to talk about scary things like death and cancer and disease without overwhelming people...my doctor is one of the professors in the latter, and she really is great.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 103

The Iron Maiden

Christ, it truly has been YEARS since I have read this much backlog in a thread. Ye gods...

Lil - doctor's was fine. He checked this that and the other on Tuesday, and though I show symptoms of diabetes and an underactive thyroid gland (not both at the same time I bloody hope!) the most likely problem is simply my incredibly unhealthy diet. I tried force feeding myself a banana as soon as I got back home, and then you realise that there's good reason why I don't eat 'em at all! So now I am drinking milk for the first time in 6 months (lovely story behind that smiley - tongueout) and next time I have a kebab I will have lots of salad on it. Though in all honesty collapsing from a heart attack at 20 seems to have much more appeal...

Went back to the doc today for a blood test. Didn't 'alf feel giddy after I left, very strange. Results in two weeks. I'm not expecting anything unusual.

Errrrrm....I think that was everything. Hello to all the other nice people!

School was gay today. 40 minute walk in and I only ended up spending 10 minutes there, and half of that was to and from the toilet. I just wish they'd let us know beforehand if they ain't bothered to plan a lesson...at least I got the $15 needed for the new Vio-Lence 7" smiley - evilgrin

Oh yeah, I remembered the other thing...no Mosh Pit resurrection, as far as I can see. As far as moshing irl goes we are all now either too old and unfit for it, or there are those who still think they're too cool to mosh. Losers. Nu-metal is (thankfully) unfashionable now so there aren't many mosh bands to go see, and my regular gigging crew seems to have found 'better' things to do. Losers. To be honest, I think moshing is for gromits, unless I say otherwise. Bang the head that doesn't headbang!

See you later nice time


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 104

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

smiley - erm

*on lunch break*


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 105

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]
*smiley - raisedeyebrow smiley*


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 106

logicus tracticus philosophicus

[{Courtesy}]
A Moderated post smiley - bigeyes on this thread what on earth is happening smiley - wah can you give me the researcher name or leave a transcript ofsite at any of my links catskittens or yahhoo
whatsthelongnamefor smiley - cheers


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 107

logicus tracticus philosophicus

all things come to he who waits smiley - zen


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 108

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

*sighs*


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 109

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Aha, they've decided to pre-mod Mike. Well, I thought you were in the clear, Neff, but this is a mere trifle.

Well then. We have one cavern, ex-mosh pit, wired for sound. Can anyone think of a good use? Shall we raise mushrooms?

Anyway, glad to hear the health report is good. Or acceptable. Or barely acceptable.

*Matina brings IM a plate of broccoli and cheese sauce*


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 110

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

It could be the music room.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 111

Z

dave - the main reason for the difference I expect is that our courses are primarilly funded by the government who are intrested in producing as many of us as quickly as possible. The vast majority of our course is funded by the government. If you have rich parents (earning over 30K a year you have to pay a 4 k total tution fees) otherwise they're paid. Oh and I get paid to do my course in my final year - well I get a means tested burasy, but my parents fortunately show every sign of remaining unempolyed smiley - biggrin.

Extra medical students is a vital part of our governments plan to imporve the NHS so there are a lot more of us than their used to be and five new medical schools have opened in the last few years. Our course is definately vocational my Dad rather unfairly refers to it as gloryfied hairdressing!

I love it! My only regret is that I had to waste two years of my life doing A levels when I could have started when I was 16 on a slightly longer course.

Another important difference is that our course is tradionally an undergraduate one that you start at 18 whereas in the US it's post grad.

We do have the option to take time out and do a research degree and a few people can change that into a pHD. We can also do a pHD as graduates, for which we get paid a lot more considering we're already doctors -though we have to work as doctors at the same time.

I do want to do a graduate PhD it seems like such a cool thing to do! But I don't think I'd like to work in research in the long term. Ideally I'd like to work in a teaching hopsital so I can combine lecuturing with treating patients.

Yeah me and thousends of others unfortunately.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 112

FG

[fg]


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 113

Afgncaap5

Hmmm. Mushroom Growing.....that could work.

In regards to the post 42 thing, I normally don't really see the point to it. This time, though, people were posting really quickly (it was still my same online session from the time I found the new thread to the time post 42 came around), so I didn't see this as an "interruption" this time around.

Though I must confess that I contributed a post (post 40, I think) in order to get through the game sooner. Sorry.smiley - winkeye


Removed

Post 114

The Iron Maiden

This post has been removed.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 115

The Iron Maiden

Ye gods...back one day and two posts failed already! Carry on lads...


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 116

U195408

GOod point MR. My girlfriend in college went to Med school at University of Buffalo, and they had a similar program - she started interacting with real patients in her first year, I think the goal was very similar. Glad to hear you have an actual professor as your doctor too.

Z - that's very interesting about the graduate degree program system. It sounds like the legal degree here - people can get Ph.D. in law, after they finish law school. Most lawyers don't need that kind of education, so it's good that they don't make most of them do it.

I find it very fascinating and cool that you didn't have to take college level physics, organic chemistry, biology, etc... That's the extra knowledge that I think is really only useful to a medical researcher, not so much a practicioner, and I take the fact that the US system requires those classes as a sign that we're trying to produce all researchers, even though what we really want are practicioners and a few researchers.


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 117

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

okay, okay. something's up there...


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 118

Titania (gone for lunch)

Mike's on pre-mod?

[Ripley] *waddles towards kitchen to check if Matina has fresh spinache*


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 119

logicus tracticus philosophicus

graduate degree program system:: To myself paper qualifications are no good if your not a lateral thinker or aware of the parts outside the box!

6x7=42 only in base 10
smiley - doh I should be aiming for post 84smiley - roflthreads are on 20 system?smiley - biggrin


69Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 120

Titania (gone for lunch)

I'd like to recommend the entry that was made the Editor's choice today: A2163133

Interesting, fascinating and well written


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more