A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 841

Z

[Z] *noddes sagely* - but you can't deny that many village schools still exist.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 842

LOOPYBOOPY

GD...Northumberland (UK) used the "middle" school system up until last year. The system in the north is now "primary" and "secondary" in the main. W Somerset...about 700km from me..fair trot.


Hidden

Post 843

Mrs Zen

Sure, Z. But the one that I used to walk to had only 24 children in it, aged 5 - 11, and is now a very nice house. Bizzarely, after it was sold, part of the garden was sold to my parents and my father grew sweetpeas in it.

I love living in the area I grew up in. I had better stop now or I will start my standard rural Britain rant - demograhics section.

Ben


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 844

Mrs Zen

*returning us back to the original topic*

B


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 845

LOOPYBOOPY

Thought you and Anhaga had a thing going Ben: I had you marked as a Canuk. Must be mistaken...another "broad called Ben" over there. I suppose you could be a jet-set type perhaps. You work for Air Canada then?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 846

logicus tracticus philosophicus

smiley - sillythe fact that we were twins, changed your mind then ,no longer twin.
Have you really had to supply all your addresses since age 14,mine at 25 was 40 plus mind you worked in hotels for several years.

comeing back to schools closeing down,(re ben geting on bandwagon you should)demographics and all that ,many of these rural schools began to close down following the "beeching report" my thoughts.The knock on effect being closeure of of main route shops,ect

allthough these where not noticeable for many years and the goverment tried to redress the problem (see comments on flat cat thread)to little to late in my view.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 847

Mrs Zen

Ah Beeching... My "Networking theory as applied to the Railways" rant!

smiley - winkeye

B


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 848

LOOPYBOOPY


I get the drift that Mr Blair is not exactly committed to education for all. I mean look at the folks on here. We ALL could have done with more. And there is more to education than getting spellings and grammar right. So "carpers" get your straps tight.

Beeching chopped the rail network about '58 I think. I used to watch the kids go on the train to the private school in Barnard Castle UK when I was about 5 or 6 years..vivid memory. Bit like "The Railway Children Film" except they were those first diesel units, only two carriages to the train.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 849

Hypatia

[Hyp]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 850

Witty Moniker

The dubiously honorable governor of the state of New Jersey wants to eliminate no-school and one-school districts here on the assumption that they are a wasteful and inefficient. He didn't bother to check the fact that the average cost per pupil in these districts is actually slightly lower that than the overall state average cost per pupil.

My younger daughter is in a k-8 school that has 87 children in it. That is one of the reasons I moved her there. You can't beat the individual attention each student gets in a school like that.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 851

life is like a cup of coffee...

[life]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 852

marvthegrate LtG KEA

[mtg]


Hidden

Post 853

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

[mr]


Hidden

Post 854

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


Hidden

Post 855

BryceColluphid

[ BC up and irritable after sleeping poorly thru the afternoon]


Hidden

Post 856

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Well, I'm sad that my Panthers lost tonight. Would have been nice to see the Kitties win, but I'll live.

Back at work again. I'm considering just setting up a tent. smiley - winkeye

*curls up on the sofa looking slightly lonely and sips smiley - tea*


Hidden

Post 857

BryceColluphid

[BC overjoyed he has won $10 from a customer due to the Patriots victory.]

Gambling is illegal in Utah so don't tell anyone ! Not that I'll be able to collect, I'm sure.....


Hidden

Post 858

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 859

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 860

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

webj esmiley - spacelsmiley - spacesmiley - spacelsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceo


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more