A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 341

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh - and might I suggest that we try to stick to the original subject line for this thread by replying to the posting immediately *before* a hidden posting? I mean, it's not as if we actually *are* replying to the posting in question, since we can't see it (yet)


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 342

LOOPYBOOPY

Titania Sweden is at least 50 years ahead in civilisation. Personally I believe it is a consequence of her neutrality throughout the last century.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 343

GreyDesk

[GD]

* desperately trying to work out a more coherent viewpoint on predeterminism etc, and sadly failing miserably at the moment smiley - sadface *


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 344

Phil

Z, the exhibition was the Late Seascapes at Manchester Art Gallery so I don't think we've been to the same one. This had several pieces that had been brought over from the US for the exhibition. Very good but very busy.
http://www.manchestergalleries.org.uk/html/mag/mag_exhib_detail.jsp?id=435&uri=/html/mag/mag_exhib.jsp


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 345

Hypatia

I have always thought that Calvin's predestination theory rteflected what he would do if he was God. He clearly liked being part of the 'elect' and condemning others to hell for disagreeing with him. It also let him ignore other viewpoints as coming from people who were damned anyway and without consequence.

Oops. Guess you just figured out I'm not too fond of Calvin.
He is the type of person who could have participated in genocide without any qualms. Wonder if Osama Ben Laden is actually John Calvin? smiley - erm

Karma is logical, efficient and imminently fair. A much better philosophy.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 346

Mrs Zen

[Ben]
*meaning to post, but obviously not meant to*


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 347

Z

Phil - yes my Dad told me about that exhibition - I went to the simalar one in Birmingham, I love Turners work but some people find that they are just pictures and don't really have a hidden point. I'd say yes, but they're darn good pictures. His later work was more expressive.

Karma - well that doesn't allow for forgivness - but yes it does make sense, - everything must be paid for even if you beg for forgiveness, not that most Christians ever practice forgiveness in my experience.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 348

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

[lil]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 349

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 350

Munchkin

smiley - tea please. smiley - cheers
If you dislike Calvin then you will probably like Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. Gets a bit Gothic horror towards the end but has a good dig at the "Elect". Also, considering the time of year, Holy Willie's Prayer is also a good jibe at such things.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 351

egon

[Egon]

Nothing much to conttribute right now...


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 352

SE

Fate and predestiny don't concern me whatever and why should they? Does it matter if I have free will or if I am predetermined to do so and so? Not at all. What happens happens.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 353

GreyDesk



It seems to me that however Marv frames the question to avoid explicit reference to religious faith, that he can't get away from having some form of faith based framework that the question of predeterminism hangs upon. There always seems to be some unspoken reference to it in the background.

Now this fact leaves me somewhat hobbled in the discussion, as I don't understand faith / spirituality at any level. I'm afraid I simply cannot conceptualise it. Therefore I find that I can't properly understand the original question of predeterminism v free will as I don't have the frameworks in place to understand it. Thus I don't have a clue.

Either that or I'm just a thick bastard smiley - winkeye


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 354

FG

I agree with Hypatia. Predetermination gives those who already feel superior a justification for persecution of people of other faiths. I'm sure John Calvin felt there was no way *he* and his followers were going to Hell. And I think karma isn't something that happens in future or past lifetimes--it is in the here and now. If you are mean to other people, you will lose friends. If you fail to use birth control, you will get a disease or become pregnant. If you ride a snowmobile in an area of unstable snow you will, sooner or later, die in an avalanche (which happened last week to some idiot here).


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 355

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 356

Z

Oi all you Mac users that said that they were better machines? I've just had two in a row crash on me. I'm now an asylum seeker in the PC side of the cluster.

I have to admit the two concepts don't concern me,as I don't belive in a higher god or a power. Sometimes I'd like to but theres too much scientist in me to do so.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 357

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


That reminds me. What sort of mac file has the extension "hqx"?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 358

FG

I'm not religious either, but I find belief and faith interesting subjects.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 359

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - erm
I stand corrected.

I do not speak for all the Salonistas of the Atelier. I did not mean to intimate that in my posting to Oetzi's PS. Just thought I'd go bang my head against the wall for a bit.

Feels so good when you stop...
smiley - biggrin
B4thebruisewelpsup
smiley - injured


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 360

logicus tracticus philosophicus

desperately trying to work out a more coherent WAY OF logging in and posting,have managed to get my views on topic "destiny" on my journal
would recomend digi users acess page in plain as although goo is messy as times,i like it though my page does look nice in dna iven if i say so myself.


Key: Complain about this post