A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

We all became so sad at the news of the Columbia shuttle explosion that I felt it would be a good time to move on and start a new thread.

But consider our flag to be at half-mast for the next few days.

Right then. If you're reading this and you've never been here before, then welcome to the atelier! Please read the atelier page and accustom yourself to our milieu; you can even link to floor plans and a few images that will acquaint you with your surroundings.

Well, I took a few notes this time, as the conversation went along. We were jolted at the beginning of the last thread when Hati got mugged, although we all wonder whether we should have seen the other guy, because Hati did not yield quietly! Not with ~that~ handbag.

We thrashed out just about everything there is to know about spaces that get attached to houses -- porches, patios, courtyards, stoops, verandahs, lanais, breezeways... and more.

One of my notes says, enigmatically "Showers! Camping! Gah!" Can anyone remember what brought this on?

After Marv passed his exam -- and I don't remember the acronym -- we had a little party, and the cold spread got us all talking about sandwiches, a culinary category in which the United States is rich. Amy started a page for this topic, and I hope she will repeat the link at the commencement of this conversation!

Let's all sit down and have a cup of tea, except of course for the lucky one who arrives here first and gets something special. We used to change threads frequently because we didn't want the backlog to become overwhelming. Now I suspect I am being urged to start a new conversation simply because the other salonistas fancy a foot race.

Matina has baked her specialty, mbougatses, and there is coffee, anticoffee and tea. And unlimited champagne.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2

Witty Moniker

I'll pass on the fttf mug, I'm just not in the mood.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Matina brings Witty Moniker a black tee shirt with the well-known phrase on the back*

Tea then?


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 4

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

What's up, Witty?


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 5

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

The sandwich page: A951482


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 6

Hypatia

I think this is the closest I've ever been to the top of a new thread, so I'm making progress. smiley - ok Another year or two and maybe I'll be the quickest.

Lil, congrats. It's nice to have some good news today. smiley - smiley


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 7

Witty Moniker

smiley - tea would be good.

I'm just bummed over the Columbia tragedy. I've always been a fan of the space program. It makes me very sad when something like this happens. smiley - blue


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 8

Bald Bloke

[BB]
Checks into the new thread.


I guess we all forget just how dangereous space flight is, until it goes wrong smiley - blue


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 9

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

I forgot even more than that. After Challenger I promised myself that I would never let the space program become just routine again. I would follow every mission, launch and landing. If the astronauts were willing to do these things for me then the least I could do was pay attention. It seemed like an easy vow to make, their enthusiasm is so infectious.
I have not kept my promise. This morning I didn't even know they were landing.
I know I'm being self indulgent and whiney, but I can't help it. I just feel like Hell.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 10

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

When I lived in Florida, I always heard the double-boom when the shuttle came home, and I always ran outside so I could watch the column of white smoke during take-off.

I suppose the program will be grounded now while they check out the other craft. How many are there now?

I went out to my property tonight to turn the water off. The stars are amazingly bright. After the water was off, I dragged a lawn chair over to a clear place and leaned back in the seat to gaze at the Milky Way for a while. We'll get out there, I know we will.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 11

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

There are only three, Lil. Discover, Endevour, and Atlantis (the baby).
Columbia was the first to reach space, and it may be wrong to think of a thing when there is loss of life, but I miss her. If you'd asked me 2 days ago I couldn't have told you how much I'd miss her, but God I miss that ship tonight.
I remember the waiting and the delays. I remember wondering if we would ever launch. And I remember that the delays put the actual launch date on April 12, the twentyeth anniversary of of mankind's entrance into space (Yuri Gagarin, 1961).
Hell, I remember trying to get a convenience store clerk to sell us beer to celebrate at 8 in the morning on a Sunday ("C'mon, Man, the Shuttle's finally flown, screw the Blue Laws!")
Good-bye, Columbia. My God, I'm going to miss that mighty bird.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 12

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

have they retired the Enterprise, then?


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 13

SE

[ ]


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 14

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

Enterprise was built for atmosphereic tests only, she was never made to fly in space, and yeah, she's retired.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 15

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

[Amy]


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 16

Coniraya

As a nation of innovators, inventors (my Grandad was one), engineers, sailors and explorers, many people in the UK felt that space travel was our baby too. The tragedy was widely covered here yesterday and front page as well as several inside pages too in today's papers.

University of Surrey here in Guildford makes satelites, components and writes programs for the ESA, so there is a particular interest locally.

The wonder is that so much has been achieved in such a comparatively short time by dedicated men and women in the US and here too in Europe. It is an almost primeval urge that pushes us on to find new places to explore and in spite of such tragedies, will not diminish.

Disasters will still occur, sadly, there will always be the unpredictable, but there will always be those who are brave enough to take the risk and are true heros.


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 17

marvthegrate LtG KEA

[MTG]


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 18

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


The Enterprise is in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

Anyone else here old enough to remember this?

The Green Hills of Earth

Let the sweet fresh breezes heal me
As they rove around the girth
Of our lovely mother planet
Of the cool, green hills of Earth.

We rot in the moulds of Venus,
We retch at her tainted breath.
Foul are her flooded jungles,
Crawling with unclean death.

[ --- the harsh bright soil of Luna ---
--- Saturn's rainbow rings ---
--- the frozen night of Titan --- ]

We've tried each spinning space mote
And reckoned its true worth:
Take us back again to the homes of men
On the cool, green hills of Earth.

The arching sky is calling
Spacemen back to their trade.
ALL HANDS! STAND BY! FREE FALLING!
And the lights below us fade.

Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far drives the thundering jet,
Up leaps a race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet ---

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the friendly skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

-- Robert A. Heinlein


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 19

Hypatia

Lovely, Lil. smiley - hug

Heinlein was from a small town about 40 miles from here. smiley - smiley The first Heinlein story I ever read was "Waldo and Magic, Inc." smiley - biggrin


59Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 20

Witty Moniker

I can't remember how many times I've read Time Enough for Love.

*checks her bookshelf*

hmmm, I've either lent it out or the latest copy turned to tatters again.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more