A Conversation for The Horse and Groom - Home of the h2g2 Beerfest

Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 101

8584330

Our next beer is Sierra Nevada's 2009 Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com), which we've subbed for Brakspear's Bitter.

Mr. Nerd is attending the boiling wort in the kitchen, so I'm going to type up the ad copy from the bottle.


This ale marks our journey to the only place on the planet where fresh hops are harvested in our spring, the Southern Hemisphere. Our task was daunting - we needed to get the hops picked, dried, flown halfway across the world and into our brew kettle in a little over a week's time.

The result is a North-by-South fusion of fresh New Zealand hops blended with the finest North American malts. It's robust hop character presents and intriguing floral-citrus aroma leading to layers of fresh-hop spiciness. Enjoy!


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 102

8584330

>>> Sierra Nevada's 2009 Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale

This is a beer that lives up to the ad copy. It is a wonderful example of a northern California robust ale. Plenty of aroma, plenty of flavor, and with alcohol at 6.7%, plenty of that warm rosy glow.

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale/5


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 103

8584330

Next up is Eel River Brewing Company's Amber Ale, http://www.eelriverbrewing.com. We were subbing this one for Brakspear's Oxford Gold, on account of the certified organic granola-chomping, tree-hugging, tie-dye T-shirt-wearing hippiness of it all.

Some breweries make a great big deal out of their organic ingredients, but then don't make great beers. Other breweries, like Eel River and Bison, make great beers out of organic ingredients.

This Amber Ale has a lovely amber color, malty, and not too much hops, just as it should be. There's a hint of citrus, maybe some other tropical fruit, extremely yummy, nice and smooth.

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale/5

Mr. Nerd is currently chilling the wort.


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 104

8584330

Mr. Nerd put the home-brew in the primary fermenter, and I just finished cleaning the kitchen floor. Time for another beer.

This one is Anderson Valley Brewing Company's Boont ESB, 6.8% alcohol. I'm running out of adjectives. Extremely full-bodied, full-flavored, the malty character is well balanced by the Willamette hops (very similar to your Kent Golding). The sensation seems to roll up and back on my tongue, a really long, long finish.

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale/5

smiley - smiley


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 105

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

try

wibble, wobble, goozle, vrizzzzsmiley - drunksmiley - cheers

smiley - bat


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 106

8584330

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Ah, thank you Taff, that really helps. smiley - snork"wibble, wobble, goozle, vrizzzz" I might as well write up the posting in Boontling!smiley - winkeyesmiley - drunk




Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 107

Taff Agent of kaos


i could not spell

(tommy cooper)aarffazzazzasazasaaa.......just like thatsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 108

8584330

I looked up Badger Poacher's Choice on the SubEthaNet, it's supposed to have liquorice and damson in it. We don't have anything like this, so we substituted Lagunita's (http://www.lagunitas.com) Brown Shugga' Ale.

Lagunitas puts 200 pounds of brown sugar in each 30-barrel batch, giving this ale 9.5% alcohol. Unfortunately this also gives an otherwise good beer a sort of sharp bitey flavor. Drinkable.

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale/5

I'm going to give my liver the rest of the night off, and try the Triple Exultation tomorrow.


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 109

8584330

Um, that was supposed to be smiley - alesmiley - ale/5. I'd like to quote my esteemed colleague Taff, "wibble, wobble, goozle, vrizzzz."


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 110

Skankyrich [?]

If I had a hat on, Happy Nerd, I'd be taking it off to you. That's real dedication.

Apologies for disappearing the other night, by the way, folks. Writing my review of the Guinness is actually the last thing I remember smiley - drunk


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 111

Taff Agent of kaos

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - applause

smiley - bat


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 112

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I need to find some Export Guinness and do a comparison between that and the regular Extra Stout.


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 113

8584330

Last call for alcohol. The last beer we got for Beerfest 06.11.09 which has spilled over into 08.11.09 is Eel River Brewing Company's Triple Exultation Old Ale, http://www.eelriverbrewing.com. We were subbing this in for Brakspear's Triple because they're both had triple in the name and they're both organic.

Okay, this smiley - drool ale is the nicest way to kill brain cells I've ever run across. My husband reminds me that I obviously forgot the barley wine festival we went to, and yeah, maybe those were some of the brain cells I lost. No, I'll just amend it to say one of the nicest ways to kill brain cells.

Back to the Triple Exultation. Mr. Nerd and I have split a 22 ounce bottle and at 9.7% alcohol, if you can get ahold of it, it should hold up for a long time in the cellar. Not to mention, it makes it hard to type. smiley - drunk

This is brewed to the Old Ale style, deeply malty and thick, rich mouth-feel with just enough hops to keep it from being too sweet. Every sip was delicious and I'm saving one sip to toast everyone for when I hit "post message".

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale/5


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 114

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - cheerssmiley - alesmiley - ok

smiley - bat


Beerfest 06.11.09

Post 115

8584330

Tying up a loose end from the beer fest:

The porter we were brewing during the beer fest is now safely in its secondary fermenter. smiley - oksmiley - cheers

smiley - smiley
HN


Key: Complain about this post