A Conversation for Declawing Cats

A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 21

swl

I've smoothed off some of the rough edges and incorporated some of the suggestions. I'm a bit worried that the last para strays into opinion though.


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 22

swl

Entry: Declawing Cats - A24976056


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 23

toybox

smiley - cat 'The declawing process thus involves ten separate amputations.' --> Actually, only eight: cats have only 4 claws on each hind paw.

smiley - cat 'trees [...] which a cat can use to dig it's claws in' --> there's an extra apostrophe.


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 24

swl

smiley - doh Hold on, shouldn't it be 16 then?


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 25

Ekaterin

Might it be worth saying a little bit more about how different countries have different prevailing attitudes to declawing cats? I live in the UK, where I think declawing is illegal (as you say) but I've heard that in the US, it is regarded as normal and vets will offer you a discount for declawing and neutering the cat at the same time. Would any American cat owners like to confirm or deny this?

In countries where declawing is legal, an alternative to not having a cat if you can't deal with its claws is to go to an animal shelter and adopt a cat which has already been declawed.

Ekaterin (loving owner of two fully clawed smiley - cats).


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 26

Ekaterin

It's fairly common to remove only a cat's front claws, to eliminate the problem of it sharpening them on the furniture, while leaving the back claws so that it retains some ability to climb and defend itself.
Ekaterin.


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 27

toybox

>>Hold on, shouldn't it be 16 then?<<

smiley - blush

Let's make it 18: five in front, four in the back, that's 9 in a half-cat smiley - winkeye


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 28

swl

It's actually proing to be quite difficult to seperate out where it's illegal and where it's disapproved of.

My personal experience is that I considered having my cats declawed a few years ago, so I contacted the vet. I then received a stern lecture on why this would be an extremely callous and irresponsible act and he wouldn't do it for me. It's not illegal here, but he seemed to think I wouldn't find a vet willing to do it.

It was sheer ignorance upon my part. I honestly didn't know what was involved. If you think my language has been strong here or in the thread that kicked it off, that's *nothing* compared with the severe ticking off the vet gave me.

Good idea about adopting a declawed cat smiley - cheers


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 29

toybox

>>It's fairly common to remove only a cat's front claws<<

*rubs knees*
Indeed, I confirm they are the sharper ones.

I believe it is illegal in France too. I will check the ministry's website just in case.


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 30

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

"It's not illegal here, but he seemed to think I wouldn't find a vet willing to do it."

Hmmm. And there was me thinking I should have got my cats lobotomised...


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 31

benjaminpmoore

Funny, they were thinking the same thing.smiley - evilgrin


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 32

swl

I've added in the suggestion for adopting a declawed cat.


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 33

Mina

I think this is a very good entry.

The only comment I have is the first sentence:

This article describes removing the claws of domestic cats.

I thought I was going to read an entry that described the process, and was ready to be horrified. What you describe is the arguements against this process. As it's banned it's a little odd to see it here, but I realise this isn't just the Uk edition, it's the Earth edition. I'd still query the wording of that first bit though.

I'd suggest something like:

Removing the claws of domestic cats is a procedure banned or considered ... etc


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 34

swl

smiley - cheers Changed


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 35

Tibley Bobley

Good grief! Whatever next?

"Training a cat may be a little more time-consuming than training a dog": If they're any more difficult to train than some terriers, they must be difficult indeed - but why have a pet if you can't be bothered to put in a bit of effort helping it to fit into your home?

"They may also judge the risk of scratching, particularly to young children": an aunt's cat almost blinded me in one eye when I was about 3 or 4. If you have a cat when you also have children, the children have to be trained too, not to give the cat 'a big hug' when the cat doesn't want one.

A very informative entry SWL. I can't see that it lacks anything. Nicely set out, couldn't see any typos, good links, easy language (only had to look up 'annular').

smiley - smiley


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 36

AlexAshman


Good work smiley - ok

so the animal will not display visible signs of pain but the severity of the procedure ensures that it will be in considerable discomfort for weeks
-->
so the animal will not display visible signs of pain despite the fact that the severity of the procedure ensures that it will be in considerable discomfort for weeks

for your cat if it there is no realistic alternative.
-->
for your cat if there is no realistic alternative.

Alex smiley - smiley


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 37

AlexAshman


smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 38

swl

OK, you can stop that horrible whistling. Good Bod my head is thumping.

I've sorted out the grammar and banished the rogue 'it' to one of Galaxy Babe's articles. She'll never notice smiley - winkeye

Will you stop the whistling, please? smiley - biggrin


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 39

Leo


You mean this: smiley - whistle ?

I agree. I mean, if he kept on tune it would be one thing...


A24976056 - Declawing Cats

Post 40

Leo


Question: if the claws are part of the bone, how are they retractable? Retractable, at least ot my understanding, would have them attached by muscles or tendons or something. smiley - erm But I'm no anatomy expert.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more