A Conversation for Talking Point: Children's Television

Watch With Mother

Post 1

JumpinJane


I remember as a toodler in teh early 70's literally sitting with my mom to watch these programs on around lunch time every weekday.

Camberwick Greem, Trumpton, Andy Pandy, Wooden Tops, Pogles Wood, Lary the Lamb, Hector's House, Fingerbobs The Clangers, Parsley, etc.

Funny how they were all based around puppets or models and not cartoon based. Maybe they were cheaper to make than animation?

I still LOVE to watch these nowadays, but not necessarily with my mom!


Watch With Mother

Post 2

compo

My personal favourite Watch With Mother programme has to be The Woodentops.Spotty Dog was something else!!! There were times when I was sure he'd take off with the way he used to jump about.

As for Camberwick Green,I just hope that Pugh,Pugh,Barney McGrew,Cuthbert,Dibble and Grubb are never called out to a real fire!!!!!


Watch With Mother

Post 3

wimblin

To correct a few facts.

Parsley was in the Herbs. He was the lion. There was Dill the dog, Lady Rosemary, Sir Basil, Sage the Owl, Mr Onion the teacher and all the chives.

The fireman came from Trumpton. Camberwick Green had the little musical box at the beginning. Me & my sis would always try to guess who was coming out of the box every time we watched it. In Camberwick Green they had Pippin Fort with all the soldiers.
Narrated by the great Brian Cant.


Watch With Mother

Post 4

compo

Thanks for the correction about the firemen coming from Trumpton,wimblin.The memory isn't what it used to be.

Can't say as I like the new Andy Pandy very much.OK,so it needed to be updated for the modern age,but I preferred it when you could see the strings.(Boring old f**t,ain't I.)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more