A Conversation for Talking Point: Children's Television

Sesame Street

Post 1

2 of 3

Sesame Street has got to be mentioned. It was class! The songs, the celebrity guests, the celbrity knock-offs (like Placido Flamingo). And very educational too!

Lately its nowhere as good. The Elmo's World thing is just silly!


Sesame Street

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I find it impossible to count to 12 without doing it in the free-form jazz-style of one of the Sesame Street songs.

12345
678910
Eleventwelve.

Doodoodododododooodododododo Doo Doo
Dodododoooo
SEVEN!!!!!

For anyone who doesn't know that song, I apologise.


Sesame Street

Post 3

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

My parents wouldn't let me watch Sesame Steet. That said it would "teach me crass Americanisms" smiley - laugh

smiley - ale


Sesame Street

Post 4

Demon Drawer

Me and my brother used to shout 'It's zed' whenever the kids sang 'zee'


Sesame Street

Post 5

Hedrigall

This thread was brought to you by the letter F and the number 4.
smiley - tongueout
Hed


Sesame Street

Post 6

Jimi X

Brilliant Jimster! Loved that funky pinball machine!! smiley - laugh

Let's all pay a bit of respect to the genius of Jim Henson. His muppets filled the light moments around some of the more serious learning.

Kermit, Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird, Grover, Cookie Monster Bert and Ernie (named for the characters in the classic film 'It's a Wonderful Life) and the Count were all originals...

Then came Snuffy, Elmo, Rosita, Telly Monster and Baby Bear - the 'second generation' monsters that my children love so well...



Sesame Street

Post 7

Animbus

Amen to that!

And I admired him for not allowing his characters to be used for "product endorsement".

I don't know what it's like now that he's gone, but certainly he was aware of their power, and didn't abuse it.

I was more of a fan of the Muppet show, but, this is about childrens television after all! Sesame street was great for that.

12345
678910
eleven twe-e-e-e-e-e-elve indeed!

The most influential Sesame Street moment for me was the Orange that sang La Boheme.
And I liked the guy who used to paint numbers on people/things.
Jim Henson was the reason I became an animator.


Sesame Street

Post 8

bjoose

my favourite thing about sesmae street was the aliens, the ones that used to come in and try to figure out what the items we used were for. I still crack up if i see them on it.smiley - laugh


Sesame Street

Post 9

quizzical

Did anyone see Jim Henson's 'Storyteller' series on TV? He used a combination of human and puppet characters to tell various folk and fairy tales. I thought the series was just wonderful. Fotunately it's now available on DVD.

I can still remember hearing the news that Jim Henson had died and feeling that the world had gone wrong in a major way... smiley - wah


Sesame Street

Post 10

wearerayner

Our family's two favourite Christmas movies are the 'Muppet Christmas Carol' and 'A very merry Muppet Christmas.'

And how about Fraggle Rock. The doosers were great.


Sesame Street

Post 11

bjoose

storyteller series was really well done. I especially liked the actual age of the tales he told in it.


Key: Complain about this post