A Conversation for The Bus

Cathedral Tour '07

Post 1

Hypatia

I absolutely, positively must visit every English cathedral before I die, as well as a few on the continent. Chartres, especially, to walk the maze among other things. And Notre Dame to take back something that was given to F there that he carried with him for the rest of his life. smiley - angel

I only visited one cathedral during my last trip - Yorkminster. So, I am pretty much starting from scratch here. In London I'll visit Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's and Southwark Cathedral. I also want to visit Canterbury to walk the walls and see David B's library. So Canterbury Cathedral is on the definite list.

Having studied a map of England, it appears that the following Cathedral cities are the most practical, since I'm not wanting to go so far afield this time: Rochester, St. Albans, Winchester, Chichester, Salisbury, Wells, and Bath. I'd like to include Exeter, but that may be too far.

The good thing is that nearly all of the cathedral cities have rail connections to London. So eventually, I hope to manage all of them. Durham is supposed to be one of the best, but I don't wnat to go north this time. I'm thinking that on a future visit, I may base myself in Birmingham and do the central and northern cathedrals from there.

I have a great book that suggests walks through the cathedral cities beginning at the cathedrals. I'm planning to use it as a guide.


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 2

Teuchter

Winchester, Salisbury, Chichester and Bath are all accessible from Teuchter Towers smiley - smiley


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 3

Hypatia

The ideal day out would be to be able to coordinate a cathedral with a nearby garden. smiley - biggrin

So, add those 4 to the ones in London and Canterbury and that will be enough cathedrals for one visit.


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 4

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

*finds the thread and subscribes, very much hoping that giving Hyp a tour of the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom will be possible*


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 5

Hypatia

David, I will definitely visit Canterbury. We'll have to work out a day for it when you can be free to show me (and anyone else who wants to come) the Library. And I want a photo of you by the infamous light pole on the wall! smiley - winkeye Also, to see the cathedral, of course.


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

And the pom-poms on stilts - I'd love to see a pic of them!smiley - biggrin


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 7

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I will try to remember to take some pics of the pom-poms on stilts as soon as they hatch next year, as they don't last in that stage for long. There will definitely be ducks and moorhens around when Hyp and any other h2g2ers come down, but they might not be at the cute and fluffy stage. A group tour of the Library of Doom would probably be easier on a Saturday or Sunday. smiley - smiley


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 8

Hypatia

Ti, how long are you staying? Maybe we could go to Canterbury on Sunday the 29th.

David, is the cathedral closed to tourists on Sunday?


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hmmm... I'll have to check if I can take Monday off, then I could join in any Sunday activities


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 10

Hypatia

That would be fun. smiley - biggrin


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 11

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Ooh, better check...

It's only open to visitors for 2 hours on Sundays, from 12.30-14.30. They charge non-Canterbury-residents £6 for the privilege of entering the precints, I'm afraid, unless attending a service.

I could do a guided tour of the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom during the week, of course, but it would be busier (and therefore noisier) and harder for me to explain what I was up to! Due to the size of the place, we would definitely be noticed.


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 12

Hypatia

David, we need to do it on Sunday, April 29 so Titania can come. Can you arrange that?


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 13

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Yes, no problem. I'll get permission to bring a phalanx of h2g2 people around the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom, which will be open during office hours. Hmm, I might see if one of my friends, who volunteers as a cathedral guide on Saturday might be able to take us around the precincts etc. - you never know.

I'll also speak to the moorhens to ask them if they can arrange for the pom-poms to hatch a week or so before that point.

smiley - boing

Must also plan a route through town that takes in the infamous lamppost. We can work the details out nearer the time when we know how everyone's getting down here.

smiley - boingsmiley - boing


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 14

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thanks David, you're a smiley - star!


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 15

Hypatia

Lovely. Thanks David. smiley - hug It will be one of the highlights of my visit. smiley - biggrin

*hopes he won't expect me to catalog or read the shelves*


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 16

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

*hopes the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom doesn't explode, get flooded or sink into a prehistoric cave before Hyp's visit...*


Cathedral Tour '07

Post 17

Hypatia

smiley - laugh Everything considered, I think that is a valid worry.


Key: Complain about this post