A Conversation for The Bus

Garden Tour '07

Post 1

Hypatia

Teuchter and I will be visiting some gardens again. The gardens at Hampton Court and Sissinghurst Castle are already on the wish list. Also the Chelsea Physic Garden. And a garden that Teuchter has mentioned, but I've misplaced the name. smiley - blush Thornbury? I'm also interested in seeing Stourhead, but it seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if it will be practical or not. I hope we can arrange it since it is so famous.

I also want to go back to Kew, especially if the spring bulbs are in bloom. My first visit to Kew was wonderful but was after the bulbs had finished blooming. Eventually, I want to visit Kew in every season.

In addition to Kew, I have already visited Wisley, Hidcote, Cliveden in a pouring rain, the gardens at Warwick Castle and the Oxford Botanical Garden.

If there are any garden lovers out there with ideas or who want to join us for one or more of the gardens, please jump in.


Garden Tour '07

Post 2

Teuchter

The other one was Rosemoor in north Devon.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/rosemoor/rosehistory.asp


Garden Tour '07

Post 3

Hypatia

Right. Rosemoor. It looks like a great place to visit.

How far is Stourhead from Teuchter Towers? Is it too far? I read that it is the second most famous garden in Britain.


Garden Tour '07

Post 4

Teuchter

It's at Warminster in Wiltshire - so within driving distance of The Towers.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-stourhead/w-stourhead-garden.htm

Don't forget this one either. It's do-able from here - possibly combining a trip to Leeds Castle, and I guarantee your socks will be knocked off. It could also be done from Kent, I think.
http://www.greatdixter.co.uk/


Garden Tour '07

Post 5

Hypatia

Greater Dixter says it opens on April 1. So, we'll need to wait and see if the meet is in March or April. I imagine all of the gardens will be wonderful around that time - with all the spring bulbs. I'm really looking forward to it.


Garden Tour '07

Post 6

Woolly Mammoth

Not that I know much about gardens, (but I have eaten one or two that I mistook for salads). But I did enjoy visiting Bondant Garden in North Wales as a young(er) mammoth.


Garden Tour '07

Post 7

Hypatia

Wales is a little to far for this particular trip, oh woolly one. but it is duly noted for a future exploration. smiley - smiley

I'm a bit leery of visiting Wales, anyway. Isn't that where they point their fingers at American tourists, whisper and giggle then charge you three times the going rate for everything? Oh, right. that's France, isn't it?


Garden Tour '07

Post 8

Woolly Mammoth

Ah no, that's what the do to the English in Wales. Right after the burning of the cottage.


Garden Tour '07

Post 9

Phil

I know that it's out of your way for this trip but Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent are good. A modern reworking of an old formal italianate garden. We want to go back and see how it's getting along as it's only recently been replanted.

Which is the RHS garden in Essex Teuchter? Hyde Hall isn't it. I've enjoyed both the RHS gardens I've been to (Wisley and Harlow Carr).


Garden Tour '07

Post 10

Hypatia

Will have to get out my map again Phil to locate Stoke on Trent. smiley - smiley

Everything will depend on how much time I can get off work. I have legal, statutory obligations to be present at board meetings. So barring serious illness, I can't skip meetings. The date of the London meet will hve to be determined before I can really schedule anything. That's why I thought it would be easier to just plan on staying in the south this time.


Garden Tour '07

Post 11

Woolly Mammoth

Let me save you the trouble. North.. somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester..


Key: Complain about this post