A Conversation for Newbie Links

Peer Review: A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 1

semper_paratus

Entry: Newbie Links - A2111455
Author: .Xander & Anya...(Founders of The United Friends Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer)...and very much in love!!! - U541442

Hi there,

A while back I produced this page in an effort to make life easier for some of my friends, who were all coming over to H2G2.
Most of them are here now, but I would still love to keep on using this guide entry and help as many people as possible, as I know how confusing this system can be for newby's.

I suppose I'm looking for comfirmation as to whether this is the sort of help page that you are looking for and if you feel that anything needs to be changed or added.

smiley - biggrin Xander


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 2

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Hi Xander.

It's a great idea but is it really suitable for the Edited Guide?

Before I start, please accept that the following are my personal opinions and offered as constructive criticism.

Issues:-

1. You do not mention Brunel in the Skins section.
2. H2G2 front page already does a good job of introducing Newbies to the Guide in my view.
3. There are any number of interest groups from the Astronomy Society to the Zaphodistas that you do not link to.
4. I presume that you have migrated to H2G2 from Leisure District. If you are still mopping up others from the same source you should link to loup dargent (U200238) and the Friends of LeisureDistrict (U201567 and A1083935).

Just a few thoughts to be going on with from a Mac and PC user.

turvy


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 3

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Oops! smiley - sorry

I forgot to say hi to Anya.

*waves*

turvysmiley - blush


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 4

semper_paratus

Good thoughts, although I've never been on liesure district, I actually came to this from Yoome 2 on the digibox, which is what I am using now and so are many of my friends.

I always appreciate a little constructive criticism, how else do we learn. I started the page purely because I found that people were coming to me rather than there aces, although I did try to tell them that the aces probably knew more than me, but alot of people tend to trust in people that they already know.

I'll say Hi to Anya for you, she's fast asleep right now.

smiley - biggrin Xander


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 5

Old Hairy

One of the problems of peer review is that many people post totally unsuitable entries there, and get really upset when they are told that. The requirements for Guide entries are set out in the Guide lines, which define such things as style and the GuideML that may be used.

It would be most unfortunate if your entry persisted in peer review, because it entirely breaks the rules regarding GuideML. Have you read the Guidelines?


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 6

sprout

It's always nice to see people producing help pages and the like. However, they don't need to go through Peer Review as they are not destined to become part of the Edited Guide.

Given that, perhaps you could take this one out of PR?

sprout


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 7

Pimms

Hi Xander and Anya smiley - smiley

A nice intro to h2g2 for digibox users smiley - biggrin
However, as has been commented, it isn't really in the right forum at the moment. smiley - sadface

Help pages for using h2g2 are a different status - there are none in the Edited Guide (all EG entries say 'Edited Guide Entry' at the top, help pages say 'Help Page') PR is really only for entries aimed for the Edited Guide, and as such *have* to comply with the consistency guidelines that can be found at Writing-Guidelines If an entry completely ignores these guidelines you may well get a few grumpy comments smiley - cross

The question I think you need answering is 'where *can* we publicise (or get advice on improving) this entry for new users?'

The answer to this (I think) would be the ACEs home page A214796. Official help pages are I think written by h2g2 staff, and I don't believe there is any way to get your own entry into that category. That won't stop other ACE's who see it as helpful linking to it when they greet new researchers.

In the meantime please hoick this entry out of PR (you should be able to click on the 'x' beside the entry name on the PR page to remove from PR)

Pimms smiley - smiley


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 8

Z

Well whilst offical help pages are written by h2g2 staff -they are often adapted from pages writen by other researchers. Even the PR main page was re written with contributions from Hoovooloo. So posting it to the ACES home page is probably a good way of getting hold of the staff.


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 9

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Perhaps even Loup would consider linking to it from A1027171smiley - smiley

Leave him a message with a link to the page smiley - ok


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 10

GreyDesk

It's a nice page. It's done with love and care, and that shows. The trouble is, is that Peer Review ain't the right place for it. Sorry smiley - cheerup


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 11

Z

I don't think digibox users can click on the remove link. Their machines can't handle pop ups. If the authors want it removed the italics will have to do the honors for them..


A2111455 - Newbie Links

Post 12

J

If you want to remove, it try clicking <./>SubmitReviewForum?action=removethread&rfid=1&h2g2id=2111455</.>

It should work. smiley - smiley Let me know if it doesn't.

smiley - blacksheep


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Newbie Links

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more