A Conversation for The Café

Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 361

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Pops in for a quick green tea before leaving to watch, on TV, the mighty NZ cricket team whip Zimbabwee

Glug


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 362

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

*very slowly turning head to notice new arrival*

Hello there Løønytünes!

How are you? How is New Zealand doing? (I'm wondering because in just four months I will be living there, and maybe then I will begin wiatching cricket. A game I only know through the Book)

JAR


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 363

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

JAR, NZ is entering spring. Many months of glorious sunshine to look forward to.

Which part of NZ are you moving to?


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 364

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

I'll be living in Dunedin, on the southern island. I've been told the climate there is slightly warmer than home. (Home for me is southern Norway. Cold, wet place) I'll be studying.

If NZ is entering spring now, and Norway is entering autumn, I guess I will move down there as NZ moves into out of summer, and Norway just exists winter. Hehe. Means I get two winters in a row...

How long does summer last in NZ?


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 365

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

JAR, NZ from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South Island is over 1200 miles long. This means different areas have different weather patterns. In Dunedin, summer runs through to late March. The main winter months are June through August.

Dunedin is one of the few places to have four distinct seasons. By contrast the top of the North Island is sub-tropical and rarely gets over-cold.

Are you going to be studying medicine?


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 366

J'au-æmne

IIEM, Lemon tea please *takes drink to corner*

*waves at JAR and Løøny*

Good morning/evening smiley - smiley


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 367

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Medicin for the soul (oohh, that was poetic smiley - winkeye). No, actually I will be undertaking the Theatre Studies. I have been told that the theatre education in Auckland are better, but I kind of failed to include the right videotape in my application... Maybe next year...

But if Dunedin is the only place with four distinct seasons, mybe I'll stay. I love every season and wouldn't be without...
Soo... I get some summer? Yes! Yes!

Actually, I should have guessed at the different weatherpatterns... 1200 miles? Thats quite a long country.. I belive Norway is about 700 kilometres (is that around 900 miles? I don't know...) long, but we're all temperate to subarctical...

Where are you living?


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 368

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Hi there Joanna!

Being a princess, muse, guru and ace (Did I miss any?) you still get the time to drink lemon juice with us small folks? I am amazed. This shows good promise for tomorrows monarchy!

*toast*


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 369

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

JAR, 1200 miles = 1500 kilometres. NZ uses metrics you will be pleased to know smiley - bigeyes

Dunedin has a strong theatre/music heritage. It was founded by the Scots in the 1850s. The weather is similar to Londons - without the rain.

I live in Napier. It's on the east coast of the North Island. The surrounding area is known as the "Fruitbowl of NZ" - it has many orchards and vineyards. An article I wrote about Napier is linked from my h2g2 home space.


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 370

Peter aka Krans

Blair is an idiot. The entire country is running dry. My dad couldn't get to work this morning.


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 371

J'au-æmne

JAR, I remember way back when, and I was just Joanna... without all these parenthesis smiley - winkeye
*raises galaxy mug* smiley - smiley your health


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 372

J'au-æmne

Blairs been put in a bad position. its pointless having a 'democracy' if people take direct action as a first resort....


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 373

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

I will check it out. (I belive I have heard that name before... Napier... You have any reknown... uhm, anything? Athletes, actors?)

*gets all excited about moving around the world and begins muttering incoherently abour emancipation and moving away from home*


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 374

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

I'm going to write a little something crass and unpleasant about petrolprices and petrol crisis, but first: Luchhour!

Joanna: Ah, the innocence of the old times, eh?


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 375

J'au-æmne

*tries to look innocent.... ...& sips her tea*


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 376

Peter aka Krans

Hmmm... Blair has apparently agreed to lower fuel prices... which isn't a lot of good if there isn't any fuel to lower the price of.

Hey! Imagine all the people trying to get to work by bike tomorrow morning!


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 377

J'au-æmne

well. I guess the lack of petrol fumes is good for the environment...


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 378

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

*rolls a five, which takes final pawn one space away from "home". shoulders sag when realise it is impossble to throw two dice and get a "one"*

Hey all, do you think the IIEM would help me out here, considering the wierd stuff it's been doing lately?

*reconsiders that would be a really bad idea, considering a little man is still running wild somehwere (I think)*


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 379

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Way back in the olden times, there was a man (maybe a woman, history is silent..) who made a speach. He said
"Mankind is destroying this beutifull earth! We must immediatly cease polluting the enviroment!"
Nobody listened.
Then he (she?) said:
"Mankind is destroying this lifesupporting earth! We must immediatly cease polluting the enviroment or our children will die!"
A few listened, but only because they thought he was talking about something else.
The (wo?)man tried once more:
"Mankind is paying too little for petrol. Make them pay more."
The governement was listening. Petrol prices soared. The man (or woman...) saw it was good, for now, people spent less petrol, thus avoiding to pollute the enviroment.

The moral of the story:
High petrolprices might once have been an attempt at controlling petrol useage to reduce pollution. However, people are generally spoiled, obnoxiouss and uncaring towards the enviroment. The attempt has failed.

*grabs a cup of tea*

JAR


Aroma Café: The Fellowship of the Latté

Post 380

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

*looks baffled, then looks back at Ludo board - Ludo being much more uncomplicated than the current fuel crisis in UK*


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more