A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7801

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Tonight I'll be seeing "Love, Simon."

Tomorrow I will have a chance to watch twenty hours of falling snow.


What films etc

Post 7802

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Twenty hours of snow.... That reminds me of seeing "castaway". The continuous sound of water in that film caused heavy traffic to the toilets during the break.


What films etc

Post 7803

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

>>If the ladies are allowed to drool unapologetically over Mr Hiddleston, << (Loki) no no no, it's Idris Elba and Chris Hemsworth who are the droolworthy ones!smiley - ok

I saw "The Post" yesterday although I had gone to the Senior Screen to see the billed Paddington 2, which had been pulled for reasons unknown to me. Ergo almost everyone trooped into The Post on account of the main stars Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep - billed as a political thriller, it was based on the real-life events surrounding the Washington Post and the publishing of the Vietnam war secret documents. I kept waiting for it to liven up but it was a good lesson in how a newspaper gets from story to physical copy via all the manual typing, printing press, blood sweat and tears, landline telephone calls (it was 1971) and the soul-searching over being billed as traitors to their country vs freedom of the press. No doubt it would be interesting to some but for me the ending was the best thing. Not recommended even if you are ardent fans of Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep (I am).


What films etc

Post 7804

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

At first I thought you meant the H2G2 Post, not the film by that name. smiley - doh

I'm hanging onto my landline and my paper newspapers, thank you very much! Call me an old fuddy duddy if you wish. I started my newspaper career (what little there was of it) with a hectograph in seventh grade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGf19571vI


What films etc

Post 7805

Pink Paisley

Finding Your Feet.

Predictable at every turn but entertaining.

And it had a great British cast including Timothy Spall who makes any film worth seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Cp6ba2Y0g

PP.


What films etc

Post 7806

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't think that's going to find its way to any theaters near me.


What films etc

Post 7807

Teasswill

Saw 'The Shape of Water' last night. I enjoyed it but not sure it was Oscar rating. The story felt a bit rushed, I thought it would have been better as a serial TV drama.
Full of stereotypes, a neatly constructed fairytale.


What films etc

Post 7808

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Last night I saw "Leisure seeker." Donald Sutherland plays an old coot with Alzheimer's, and Helen Mirren plays his apparently healthy wife who eventually turns out to have a serious health problem of her own. Their children are about to commit the father to a dementia facility, which neither he nor his wife want, so they basically run away from home for one last fling. They jump in their Rv/camper and leave Wellesley, Massachusetts for Key West, which is in Florida. The big draw of Key West is that it houses the Hemingway Museum. Hemingway was the father's favorite writer. When he's lucid, he can quote long passages form Hemingway, only to stumble suddenly and forget what he was going to say.

Th scenery is wonderful, especially when I'm going crazy from the long Winter around me. The sight of palm trees cheers me up considerably. The movie ends like a scene from "Grace Quigley."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087354/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Well, there are only so many ways you can end a movie, and at least this ending ensures that there won't be a sequel....


What films etc

Post 7809

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

No sign of "Leisure Seeker" or "The Shape of Water" in my neck of the woods yet, we're just a small backwater... smiley - groan

Last Tuesday I saw "The Greatest Showman" - it had been billed as a "singalong" but the film didn't provide visual lyrics so nobody in the audience sang. It felt like a total indulgence of Hugh Jackman, although I adore him, he was in every scene and I wish there had been more about the opera singer's story. I had seen the trailer for "Jumanji: Welcome to the jungle" just before the film started and I did wish I had chosen that instead. Thankfully, it rolled over and I saw it yesterday. smiley - ok 10/10 very enjoyable romp, I hadn't expected it to live up to the original with the wonderful Robin Williams but Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black and smiley - tardisKaren Gillan were brilliant.


What films etc

Post 7810

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I really, really like Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black. smiley - smiley


What films etc

Post 7811

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

They worked well together in Jumanji, as did Karen Gillan as a Lara Croft-alike.


What films etc

Post 7812

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I saw "Avengers-Infinity War." The running time seemed like an infinity, all right, and there wasn't much the superheros could do to keep their image as superheros. Half the people in the universe presumably died. This is supposed to be fun to watch? smiley - grr


What films etc

Post 7813

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I've been to see "I, Tonya" this morning. Not my cup of tea with all the swearing and domestic abuse and violence. The soundtrack kept my bum on the seat though, it was excellent. I almost stuck it out but when the boxing scenes began I was outta there.

On the plus side, I won the seat prize, a bag of Liquorice Allsorts which I passed on to my friend Bev on the way out, she eats like a horse and never gains an ouncesmiley - grrand claimed my free entry ticket on the way out. This will let me in to see Jurassic World in 3D tomorrowsmiley - oksmiley - boingsmiley - somersaultsmiley - boing


What films etc

Post 7814

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I might see Jurassic World tonight


What films etc

Post 7815

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

After finishing with "The Crown" on Netflix (until new seasons air) we switched to "Outlander". Scottish/British/French time travel drama. It's good, if you do not mind violence and reproductive activities on screen.


What films etc

Post 7816

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Jurassic World was so good. I drove home checking for dinosaurs around every corner!smiley - yikes


What films etc

Post 7817

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

But I could only take a little more than an hour of it. The little dinosaurs are really cute. if they stayed little, I wouldn't complain if they were real. smiley - smiley


What films etc

Post 7818

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

But then people would want them as pets. It would take away the sheer thrill of attempting to outrun a T-Rex.

smiley - run


What films etc

Post 7819

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

That's a thrill I could do without.


What films etc

Post 7820

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

But it is probably easier than outrunning that meteorite impact


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more