A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things CHildren Say

Post 41

Lizzbett


Gnomon's anecdote about the letter L, reminds me of my ex-husband's neice who also struggled with that letter. I remember her telling me she had been 'to Wincoln to buy a Wunch box' and for a year or so she addressed me as Wiz (I quite liked being Auntie Wiz, actually).

When she was very little, she did a funny thing of morphing her mothers first name (Rowena) with the word mummy and for a while she addressed her mother as Mumina, which I thought was rather sweet.


Things CHildren Say

Post 42

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

In case you don't know, I work in a microbiology lab which tests, among other things, urine, for bacterial infection.

Talking about work with my wife last night, my 11 year old daughter asked me "Urine.... that's wee, isn't it?"

"Yes"

"Wee is just the water that you've drunk, isn't it?"

"More or less... it's a little more complicated than that, but..."

"When does it stop being water, and start being wee?"




Do you know, there are some questions I have never asked myself.

I don't need to - I have a daughter who asks them for me!


Things CHildren Say

Post 43

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


*giggles*


Have you found out the answer yet? smiley - rofl


Things CHildren Say

Post 44

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

That reminds me of when Mrs. D and I were on our hols in Edinburgh earlier this year... it was raining pretty hard so we decided to pop into the museum and on our way in a little girl commented to her mum "ye know how rain is Jesus gaein' to the toilet? He's haein' a big pee today!"


Things CHildren Say

Post 45

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

smiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - rofl

(you could have asked her at what point it became pee!)


Things CHildren Say

Post 46

serenity

due to a family emergency, we had to take smiley - diva home in our car. it was about 9pm and very dark as we travelled down a country lane which had no lights anywhere.

smiley - diva (now 5) asked if we could play i spy. ok, i thought how do you do that in the dark? but what the heck.....

first of all it started with simple things such as N for night, L for lights.
then eventually she came up with M.G.R.D.E.S.F. smiley - dohsmiley - headhurts
bearing in mind that she is 5 and 1 month. so not an older 5.



wait for it. My Grandad Ron Drives Ever So Funny. smiley - yikes


Things CHildren Say

Post 47

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

smiley - rofl

THis is very bizarre -

I haven't posted on here since October, but sat down here this break time to add something that happened last night. "I'll have to spend a minute finding the thread" thinks me - yet I log in, and it's just been posted in - 1 minute ago. What are the chances??

Anyway, my contribution -

Last night a friend passed us a bodywarmer (the sleeveless jacket thing) that her daughter had outgrown.
We gave it to Cheeky Monkey (who is now 7), who's never had one before. She tried it on, it fitted perfectly. She stood for a moment, looking confused, then asked,
"When does it warm up?"


Things children say

Post 48

serenity

There is a craft fair on in our town this weekend and daughter-in-law wanted to go. She wanted to do Sunday and I said that I can only do Saturday.

smiley - diva asked, why couldnt I do Sunday?.
I said to her that I have to get grandads meal cooked as he was going to work at 2pm and to make sure his work clothes are washed and ready for him to wear.
She said, 'You have to dress grandad??????'


Things children say

Post 49

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


*giggles*

Out of the mouths of babes! smiley - biggrin


Things children say

Post 50

serenity

whenever i go on my weekly trip to see smiley - diva i always have my hair combed.
i love having it done and she likes doing it.
i get all kinds of bobbles and hair slides put in and we 'play' for ages.

this last time was slightly different. i was examined for head lice.smiley - yikes
apparently the nit nurse had been into school recently and smiley - diva has now added it to her hairdressing skills!! smiley - laugh


Things children say

Post 51

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


You must have the cleanest head! smiley - biggrin


Things children say

Post 52

serenity

i never had nits while i worked in a school for 15 years.
i really dont want to start having them from my grandaughter smiley - laugh.

but it shows you just what they do learn in school. smiley - headhurtssmiley - laugh


Things children say

Post 53

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


They stopped the Nit Nurse coming in on a regular basis, and only called them in when a parent complained.

My daughters had them three times because of that. I threatened to keep them out of school until it was sorted properly. THEN they brought in the nurse!

smiley - cross


Things children say

Post 54

serenity

We had to go to a service which was to remember the stillborn and neonatal deaths, yesterday.
Our grandaughter being one of them.

smiley - diva (5 and elder sister) saw the hospital chaplain (who took the service) in his robes. He then went off to another room and she asked... Where has God gone? That man in his cloak.
She then asked, why is he reading from that paper (prepared service sheet). Doesnt he know the words?

She brightened up a very sad and solemn occasion. Out of the mouths of babes smiley - biggrin


Things children say

Post 55

pink-shrimp

This evening I stood looking longingly at the biscuit jar and patting my tummy and saying I realy musnt eat those Im getting a tum.
My daughter watched me then said said 'Its ok Mum, you can have some, it doesnt matter if your tummys getting fat...it balances out your bottom..'

smiley - ermsmiley - erm


Things children say

Post 56

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

OOH! There's a child not long for this world!!

My youngest loves playing hangman. It's slightly better now, as she can spell a lot better than she used to. However, she came up to us over the weekend wanting to play, but unfortunately everyone was too busy.

"It's okay, I'll play it on my own!"

- "Erm... but you know the word then, don't you always win?"

"Sometimes. I just write out some spaces for letters, and see if I can make a word. It doesn't always work though..."


Things children say

Post 57

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


smiley - laugh

You have to admit, she does say the funniest things! smiley - biggrin


Things children say

Post 58

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

PaperKid this morning (less than 5 minutes ago, actually...)

(After being woken)

"Bye *mumble, mumble* dreams... Hi Mommy!"

Yes, she did clarify she was saying goodbye to her dreams, because she'd been dreaming when I woke her upsmiley - laugh


Things children say

Post 59

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Well done, pink shrimp! smiley - applause


You have Quote of the Day with Post 55 smiley - magic


Things children say

Post 60

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

"eye spy" holds a very special place in our families tales.

Myself, my younger brother and my gran were sat in the car playing eye spy to pass the time while mum and dad where in the hardware store.

It was Chris's turn. After a moment or twos deep consideration he announced "I spy something beginning with W W".

Well that taxed us. We exhausted every single object within sight that might conceivably begin with W W. Exhausted and utterly beaten we gave in.

"Alright tell us - what can you see that begins with W W?"

"B and Q" he said.

"B and Q! ? !" we both cried out - that doesn't start with WW!

"I know but if I'd said B and Q" You'd have got it."

This led to a protracted discussion about what B and Q stood for, something we never did get to the bottom of.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more