A Conversation for The h2g2 Team

Comment please

Post 1

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired


A1081009

I will renew content after reply


Comment please

Post 2

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Good Morning!

The staff will be in the office in a few hours, but to bring this idea to the attention of more of the community (who aren't necessarily subscribed here) you may want to post at <./>Feedback-Features</.>, the features suggestion page.

Even changing the times in conversations to a format with less (changing) data, wouldn't help too much, as there are other parts of pages that are generated per user which would still prevent caching.

spelugx


Comment please

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

I am aware of the fact that it just lowers the calculation load by a very little bit, but for 1000 hits per second it does make a difference.


Comment please

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Nephew Who stumbles in

"Hey you can not sell the information Information is free, as you know. How about a cup of coffee in The Restaurant at "The End Of The Universe", ( A1079822 ) To discuss this matter with a nice perspective of the End in the background."


Nephew Who jumps to the little planet in the center


Comment please

Post 5

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

If it really is that great a load, it could easily be moved from the prensentation servers to the database servers. Small integer calculations and table lookups for this kind of thing really aren't expensive when you've got a whole DOM tree in memory and are processing it with XSLT. 'Premature optimisation' is something to be avoided on a tight time schedule.

spelugx


Comment please

Post 6

Tango

Firstly, you have been messing around with useless guideml in that article, so i have to scroll horizontally, this is a very bad thing, so please fix it.

Secondly, i belive that at the moment, the calculations are done on the db server and will be very quick, there are no database requests at all for that, and it's them which slow things down.

On the other hand, i have never liked the fact that you can't tell when something was posted exactly, so i would like to have the absolute date there including the exact time, and the relative time after it in brackets or something.

Tango


Key: Complain about this post