A Conversation for The Royal h2g2 Historians Society

New Historians and Business Thread

Post 141

Pinniped


Yeah, well, the problem is that only Jodan knows how to join people, but Jodan's subscribed to so many threads that his Conversations list is wall-to-wall "Just now" in perpetuity.
It kind of goes chonking past like those wizzy tumbling destination boards at the airport.
So everytime anyone posts here, he misses it.
See. Told you. He's missed this as well.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 142

Researcher 825122

Pinniped, you can subscribe yourself. It says so on the main page. You have to push on the 'click here to be notified of new conversations' button and you'll will be notified of every conversation and new ones as well that takes place on his page.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 143

Pinniped


smiley - erm
Not quite what I meant, Krabatt.
I was meaning viz-a-viz people joining the Historians. I think Jodan's in charge of membership, or at least we always assume he's in charge of everything, on account of him being so utterly 'in charge', but he's also never here.
It was a joke, see?
Only not a very good one.
Like I said, smiley - erm


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 144

Researcher 825122

Damn, I shouldn't jump into threads without reading the back-log first. Viz-à-viz? You mean you want to meet in person?

I'm sorry, some jokes are just beyond me.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 145

Pinniped


Yeah, sorry.
No, I didn't mean that either.

Hey, you're 'Nightwatch' piece is really smiley - cool. You're Dutch, I guess?


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 146

Researcher 825122

smiley - biggrin Is it that obvious? Yes, well smiley - erm it served as an introduction. Between you and me it really is joke, isn't it? With so many sites on the internet about the painting. smiley - laugh So, what I did was visit the library, got information from six different sources and combined them in such a way that no copywright laws were violated and that this entry wouldn't match any of the contents of the internet sites. I liked doing it, as a kiddie I was already fascinated by stories about him and quite smitten with Hendrickje Stoffels. Did you see his painting of Bathseba at the Louvre. Now that really is a gem!


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 147

Pinniped


I do know that painting, yes, though it'd be untruthful to say it's a personal favourite. If I was to pick a fascinating Dutch artist it would be Maurits Escher (so we're somewhere else entirely).
Amsterdam is cool, though. Truly one of the world's great cities, perhaps unique as the major capital that doesn't overwhelm its people.

I wrote a Dutch piece once. It was on the Batavia Mutiny, though, so maybe it doesn't show the country's history in it's best light.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 148

Researcher 825122

Escher is fascinating. Mutiny on the Batavia? Is the article here on H2G2?
Amsterdam is nice city. It lifts up the mood. I remember one summer coming from the station and the Rokin, this big street from the station going in to the city, was one big sand pit. Both sidewalks on either side of the street were crammed with slow moving tourists, Americans, Italians, French, Germans etc. The funny thing was that the workers were having lunch, lying comfortably on their big machines with brown bare torso's grinning their heads off at the tourists passing by.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 149

Pinniped


Yeah, that sounds like Amsterdam. I get there fairly often, working in steel and so visiting IJmuiden. Some of my best friends are Dutch, or at least gone-Dutch. It's a bit of a cliche, but it really is the most cosmopolitan place in the world.

The Batavia is in hootoo, yes, here : A1037693


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 150

Mina

Just join up - then Jordan can add you to the list when he gets back! smiley - biggrin Welcome!


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 151

Researcher 825122

smiley - smiley Hello Mina.

My goodness, what a story!


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 152

archr666

hey there, im very interested in history and id like to join up
my speciality areas are
Wars
American History
New York History


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 153

Researcher 825122

A new member! Welcome, welcome ... the more the merrier. I'm not a specialist in anything, just interested in history. At the mo I'm working on a piece on Flanders, Belgium, in which I'm trying to put as much historical information as possible. smiley - erm For years now I'm planning to read up on the French Revolution ... one way or the other I cannot make it happen.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 154

Pdmatthew - Probably In a corner somewhere with a guitar

Can I join please, My Specialties in no particular order, British Political History, British colonial history, European/British/Scotish History and of course the history of completely useless Historical Facts. I'm D586POETPAUL and My UNUM is U1381940.


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 155

bobstafford

Hi looks a bit quiet here are you still open for members.

I am Bobstafford
Weapons 400 bc to 1845 ad
Castles and old buildings
Black powder and associated topics
English civil wars

Ilook forward to your reply.smiley - ok


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 156

Pinniped


Hi Bob

Not sure this ever really got started, let alone whether it remains open. Jodes, the instigator, is an infrequent visitot these days. (Never thought that would happen. Not too long ago it seemed like Jodan was contributing almost daily to every significant part of the site. Sigh...)

I've read some of your stuff. S'good.

I got interested in this group partly because of the juxtaposition of ideas - history and business. At first thought, they don't belong together. History is stuffy and academic and you mustn't say what you can't substantiate. Business is free-wheeling and egalitarian and what's right is whatever you can get away with. Then you stop and think - the thing they always say about history in just as true of business - written by the victor.

So, which civil wars? You strictly 17thC, or do the Wars of the Roses count too?


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 157

bobstafford

Oh yes Wars of the Roses count and the Monmouth rebellion as well and your interest.smiley - smiley


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 158

Pinniped


Well, I know it's vanity, but I'm particularly proud of this one :
A5680271


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 159

bobstafford

And justly so smiley - ok I am not sure which of mine I prefer smiley - erm


New Historians and Business Thread

Post 160

bobstafford

Well you front paged now are you accepting new members.smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post