Alabaster House Journal

1 Conversation

Someone holding a green<br/>
flag with lots of people on it (Republic)

The Best Things in Life are Free

The inhabitants of Hootoo Island are a diverse bunch. No matter what our interests are, it is generally possible to find someone who shares them. And for those of us who enjoy lively debate, there are conversations about all manner of topics both serious and whimsical. The problem arises when lively debate turns into character attack.

This past week there was yet another conversation on the subject of debate deteriorating into argument and personal attacks. This time it involved The Forum and pointed out the reluctance of some long-term researchers to participate in Forum conversations. I don't intend to either attack or defend any particular Forum conversation or participant. But I do think the question of what is and is not acceptable in conversation forums is a legitimate one.

There's an old saying that every coin has two sides. This is certainly true of debate topics. Disagreement is to be expected and even encouraged. When someone posts a question or an opinion in the Forum or Ask, they should be prepared to find some dissent. And as long as this remains on topic, it creates interesting conversations. Rudeness and personal attacks, however, need to be kept to a minimum. Common courtesy doesn't cost anything, after all.

The upshot of this is the founding of a new movement on h2g2 called Footinooti. It grew out of the sentiment of focusing on the issues, not the individuals presenting them. We need to respect each other's right to hold opinions contrary to our own. And we need to recognize that we have within our community people with a variety of debating skills and many to whom English is a second or third language.

I have often thought that the problem with many of our conversations is that some researchers are looking for debate and some are looking for discussion. True debate is about issues. And yes, it is about scoring points. You present information that supports your position and try to persuade the judges that you're right and your opponent is wrong. When a person unfamiliar with the rules of debate enters into this atmosphere, thinking a friendly discussion is in progress, the debaters can appear overly aggressive and unfriendly. Real debaters thrive on a competitive atmosphere. Many of us prefer courtesy and respect.

Our conversations are all open to anyone who wants to participate, so there isn't any way of segregating the debaters from the non debaters. But we can keep personal comments to a minimum. And some of us need to stop reading more into comments then actually exists. Long live Footinotti.

Now, on another topic, it is nearly time for me to order the tee shirts for the Presidential Meet. So, those of you thinking about coming but not quite sure, please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.

The official meet activities will begin on July 3rd with an evening picnic. After dark we will visit the Devil's Promenade in search of Southwest Missouri's famous Spook light. Then there will be a brunch on July 4th followed by a visit to my library. I'll open the computer lab so everyone who doesn't have a laptop in tow can get their hootoo fix. As long as there is enough water in the river, we will have a swim party in the afternoon. Then the Hillbilly Fourth cookout and fireworks will be in the evening. It's going to be great fun.

The Presidential Meet information and sign-up page

The h2g2 Presidential
Election 2005 Archive

Hypatia

18.05.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A11803998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more