Escape Pod Dreams -126

0 Conversations

The Guild of Immortal Maintenance People Issue

The New New blob

Who keeps things running when no one is around?

One of the oddities and irritaties of RPGs, computer games and Fantasy fiction and movies like Cohen the Librarian, Cara Loft: Womb Trader, and California Smith is the ability of truly ancient and rusty and moss-covered mechanical and architectural junk to suddenly spring to life and function after centuries of nonuse. We know for a fact from our daily lives that even new stuff of practical use and simple manufacture has a tendency to go haywire right out of the box. So, how is it that really important bad guys and mysterious ancient civilizations could build one-use or limited use crap that has to be tracked down by one genius in a millenium following obscure clues that were lucky to survive the bookworms and bad fire prevention techniques of the recent past and those nasty, dangerous, and apparently badly cleaned toys could survive and function, yet function so poorly that the hero or heroine can escape them and go on to destroy or steal that which the intricate and horrifying devices were designed to protect?

The New New blob

More reasons why the ability to lose tools separates man from his prymates:

1. 8:57 AM
Janitors on strike, indefinitely
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
Where did the money come from and why did no one pay attention to the franchise possibilities?

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
Ignorance, stupidity and mystery
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
The Guild of Immortal Maintenance Workers

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

18.05.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11778708

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more