A Conversation for Newport, Shropshire, UK

Peer Review: A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 1

Cyzaki

Entry: Newport, Shropshire, UK - A1154530
Author: Cyzaki - Join the (un)official F1 supporters' club A1918244 - U223973

I still need to go through and add links, but other than that it's ready to be peered at!

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 2

sprout

A good, solid entry. Apart from the links, no complaints!

sprout


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 3

Agent X

Good entry! Makes me want to move there, of course I already dream of moving to the UK <cheer&gtsmiley - winkeye

One thing " Newport once contained many lakes. . ." did the lakes move on smiley - ermsmiley - blush

your friendly neighborhood smiley - bluefish


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 4

Cyzaki

Ooh, goody smiley - smiley

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 5

Cyzaki

Urm... not sure about the lakes. I *think* they were man-made lakes, but there isn't any obvious evidence of them now... none of my sources are very clear on this, they just say that it used to have lakes and used to provide the Norman king (or King Norman smiley - tongueout) with fish, not saying what happened to them. So I don't think I can be any more clear than I have been about the lakes, without risking inaccuracy.

Is there enough information here, do you think? I could find out a lot more about the history of the town if people think it's needed?

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 6

Cyzaki

I've added a couple more snippets of information - one about the buttercross, and another about when Adams Grammar School was founded.

Do you think I should mention the market, or is saying it's a market town enough?

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Very nice entry Cyzaki, with only a few places where I think it could be improved.

"There are many Regency and Georgian buildings, however there are very few older buildings remaining, due to the Great Fire of Newport, which swept through the town in 1665. However, the Guildhall is one example of a Tudor building which is still standing, and there are a few others to be seen."
That section rambles a bit. You could tidy it up along these lines - 'There are many Regency and Georgian buildings, but few older structures remain due to the Great Fire of Newport, which swept through the town in 1665. The Guildhall - a Tudor building - is one of the few pre-17th Century buildings still standing'.

In the section about St. Nicholas's Church you say that it was built during the reign of Henry I, but that has already been mentioned in the introduction. If you want to remove one of those mention, I think it would work best if you took out the first one.

The first paragraph of the 'Shopping' section could also be tidied up a little - 'Newport has a good selection of shops selling most things you could want. The majority are located on or around the High Street, so you don't have to walk very far to do your shopping. There are supermarkets, banks, and national chain stores, as well as plenty of small, locally owned shops including bakeries, video rental, book shops, jewellery shops, and hairdressers'. As you can see I haven't included the library in that list, since it's not a shop.

'a boys' selective school' - no need for the apostrophe there.

"Newport hosts a few annual events, one of which being the Carnival, for which all the local groups and societies are encouraged to enter a float in the parade down the High Street to the carnival field.'
That might be better if broken into two sentences - 'Newport hosts a few annual events, one of which is the Carnival. All the local groups and societies are encouraged to enter a float in the parade along the High Street to the carnival field where you will find fairground rides and sideshows, live entertainment, and stands from the local societies and charities.'

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout
Back in the saddle again smiley - ponysmiley - biggrin


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Dang, that's what happens if you go off to do something and then come back and write your post without refereshing the page smiley - flustered

If you mean this bit "it has a wide High Street designed for a market, with smaller streets running off it at right angles", then yes, I think you should definitely mention the market smiley - ok

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 9

Cyzaki

The market isn't in the High Street any more though...

I'll have a look at the other points you made and tell you what I've done about them smiley - smiley

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 10

Cyzaki

Point 1 - Fair enough, I'll change it.

Point 2 - I'll remove the first mention.

Point 3 - Ok, apart from Newport doesn't have any national chain stores, apart from the banks and supermarkets smiley - smiley

Point 4 - It does need an apostrophe - it's a school for the boys so it's a boys' school. I went to Newport Girls' High School, and that has an apostrophe too, dunno if I remembered to put that one in though...

Point 5 - OK smiley - smiley

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 11

Cyzaki

Oops, I lied, we do have chain stores I suppose, but when you said chain stores I thought clothes shops for some reason smiley - erm We have 'Choices' video and 'Greggs' bakery, both of which are national chains I think...

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 12

Mu Beta

Sounds a damn sight more interesting than Newport, Gwent.

Although possibly not more so than Newport, IOW.

Both of which I have visited many times.

Not relevant, but I thought I'd drop it in. smiley - biggrin

B


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 13

Cyzaki

We, of Newport, Shropshire hate Newport, Gwent with a passion. All our post, and some of our deliveries, ends up there!

We had a delivery coming in a lorry a few years ago, and the driver phoned us up cos he was lost. He said "I'm on the such-and-such a bridge" and we said "We've only got a little canal bridge in Newport..." and it turned out he was in Wales and miles and miles away... Damn that Newport, Gwent!

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 14

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

'Newport doesn't have any national chain stores'
None whatsoever? Not even a Boots? That's quite unusual and rather heartwarming, since it gives the local traders the chance to flourish smiley - ok


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 15

Mu Beta

The people who live there express much similar sentiments. I'm frankly amazed it didn't make the Top 50 rubbish towns or whatever it was.

B


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 16

Cyzaki

Oh, yes, we have a Boots too - like I say I was thinking of clothes shops only for some reason smiley - erm

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 17

Agent X

On the lakes.
I did not relize that they HAD ran off. smiley - run
Just thought it was a typo.
smiley - cheers
smiley - bluefish


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 18

anhaga

smiley - erm should you not mention Lilleshall Abbey for those who are fond of ruins?


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 19

Cyzaki

Lilleshall Abbey is in Lilleshall, not in Newport... Should I cover the surrounding areas like Church Aston, Lilleshall, Edgmond etc?

smiley - panda


A1154530 - Newport, Shropshire, UK

Post 20

sprout

Maybe just the things to see and do in the surrounding region. I guess if you've got the sport centre, you could include the abbey as well.

sprout


Key: Complain about this post