A Conversation for E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Sub-editing Notification

Post 81

Farlander

ste! there's a link to it from the pr page... right at the bottom, methinks.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 82

Will

*cough* ComingUp *cough*


Sub-editing Notification

Post 83

Will

Okay, this should be the final set of questions. I'm finally just about done with sub-editing this thing; is there anything you'd like changing, or can I submit it?

smiley - popcorn

"For example; EcoR1 recognises 'GTTAAC' (and its complementary strand) and cuts the DNA apart between the 'G' and the first 'A'."

Okay, so where would that be? G|TTAAC, GT|TAAC, or GTT|AAC? Or is that an error? The other example has only one possibility, so I suspect it might be an error smiley - erm.

smiley - popcorn

"Which was named after the Chimera; a mythological beast with the head of a goat, body of a goat, and tail of a serpent."

Is goat supposed to be mentioned twice in there? It looks suspiciously like an error; I thought I'd better check.

smiley - popcorn

"In the early '70s E. coli was the best characterised bacterium, and the only known bacterium to possess plasmids. Plasmids are little circular rings of DNA and are independent of the bacterium's single chromosome. They can even replicate themselves on their own, which, for biologists, is a very useful thing indeed."

In the last sentence, is "they" referring to plasmids? If so, I recommend changing it for clarity.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 84

Will

Forgot to mention: I'm correcting the entry right now, 'cause I do sub-editing on paper, and therefore have to upload it... wait before you say I can(not) submit it smiley - smiley


Sub-editing Notification

Post 85

Will

Okay, correction's done smiley - smiley.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 86

Ste

Sorry about not being around. Been quite busy I have. The entry looks greatsmiley - smiley any news on when it'll go front page?

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 87

Farlander

yeah, i've had a look at it too. thanks, will! or is it rob? smiley - erm


smiley - cheers


Sub-editing Notification

Post 88

Ste

Hold the Press!!!

You've changed 'E. coli' to 'E coli' in the entire article! Even the title. This is incorrect as species nomenclature follows very strict rules. Once you've mentioned the genus (in this case Escherichia) once you don't have to type it all out every time, but use the accepted abbreviation from then on (E.). It's an abbreviation, so it has to have a '.'.

smiley - erm

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 89

Farlander

s ok, ste, i saw that before you did. i sent will a message two days ago telling him that, and he said that he'd get hold of anna.


smiley - ale


Sub-editing Notification

Post 90

Ste

Seeing as Will is on holiday, i raised the point (boom-boom) with editorial feedback: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F47997?thread=301611&latest=1 There's a discussion happening there... Ste


Sub-editing Notification

Post 91

Will

Why do I always pick the worst times to disappear smiley - erm...

Okay, I've posted to Anna's PS about it, although <./>Announcements</.> says that she's leaving as head of Sub-editing, so she might not notice it...

Incidentally, and of little consequence, I don't remember taking those dots out, and don't think I did any search/replaces on "E. coli". Unfortunatly, I overwrote my offline copy of the pre-submit entry a few days ago, but we can assume that the Editors are responsible for that smiley - winkeye.

I'll go and participate on the discussion smiley - smiley.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 92

Will

"we can assume that the Editors are responsible for that"

Where "that" means messing with the full stops. I take full reponsibility for being stupid with the "Save As" dialog box smiley - blush.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 93

FordsTowel

They're no friends of mine! I don't even like the way they dress.

smiley - towel


Sub-editing Notification

Post 94

Will

Meh. The only one I ever felt warm towards is leaving her position on h2g2 soon smiley - wahsmiley - cry


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more