A Conversation for E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Sub-editing Notification

Post 61

Will

smiley - laugh

Okay, welcome to the top of my todo list smiley - smiley.

I've taken a quick look over it and fixed the GuideML (it was in lowercase smiley - erm). I'll start working tomorrow...


Sub-editing Notification

Post 62

Farlander

lower case syndrome is a common affliction plaguing people who are too lazy to hold down the shift key when they type smiley - winkeye i know - i suffer from it!


Sub-editing Notification

Post 63

Will

smiley - grr@h2g2 servers

Okay, I finally through the entry, with the help of some pen and paper smiley - erm.

Let's see... apart from the basic readability things, what did I want to mention...


`Happily, in many early cases of infection, removal of the catheter solves the problem because the bacteria would be forced to multiply in areas where stagnant urine collected, and would be flushed out by repeated calls of nature.'

Rephrased, because the tense changed midsentence.


`Interestingly, E. coli was the leading cause of diarrhoea among US troops during the 1991 Gulf War, more than half of whom suffered two or more episodes of the disease.'

Rephrased for readablility.


Removed a few `And's from E-coli... Ecosystem, third paragraph.


For example; EcoR1 recognises 'GTTAAC' (and its complementary strand) and cuts the DNA apart between the 'G' and the first 'A'. Sma1 recognises 'CCCGGG' and cleaves in between the third 'C' and the first 'G'.

Are the names of those enzymes supposed to be only partially italicised?


In the bulleted list under `Further Biological Studies Based Upon E. coli', I've added tags around each item:

...text...

as recommended in <./>Subeditors-GuideML#UL</.>


As I said above, I've also made some small changes. If you'd like me to generate a difference file, I can do that for you.

My connection's been pretty flaky recently (hence the delay), and I apologise for my continuing inability to meet deadlines for various reasons.

Robert


Sub-editing Notification

Post 64

Will

Also, in sentences like:

`E. coli is the best understood bacteria, a scientific model for all life and as such has had a leading role in vastly increasing our understanding of the living world.'

should I change `bacteria' to `bacterium'? `Is' is singular, and `bacteria' is plural, and they should be the same... however, which word is canonically used?

Robert


Sub-editing Notification

Post 65

Ste

Thanks for your hard work Rob-, um, Will. smiley - winkeye

To pick up on a few of your questions:

- Yep, only partially italicised.
- And yes, it should be 'bacterium' instead of 'bacteria'. You cooouuuulllld say either but the former is more correct I suppose.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 66

Will

Maybe Rill'd work? Or Wobert smiley - biggrin?

Okay, I'll go update the entry now, then look at it again, then update it, then lo... okay, you get the idea.

{Robert,Will}


Sub-editing Notification

Post 67

Will

`Once inside the human body, it colonises and multiplies inside the gastrointestinal tract, producing a deadly toxin that kills the lining cells of the tract.'

How about...

`Once inside the human body, it colonises and multiplies inside the gastrointestinal tract, producing a deadly toxin that kills the cells lining the tract.'

smiley - popcorn

`Happily, in many early cases of infection, removal of the catheter solves the problem because the bacteria would be forced to multiply in areas where stagnant urine collected, and would be flushed out by repeated calls of nature.'

I think that I noted that this needs a tense change... I'm kinda stuck, though smiley - erm. Can you rephrase it for me or something?

smiley - popcorn

`Needless to say, they chose the E. coli.'

How about...

`Needless to say, they chose the E. coli bacterium.'

or...

`Needless to say, they chose E. coli.'

smiley - popcorn

`There is great need for micro organisms to do the job of recycling sulphur in the environment. E. coli is deeply involved in this process. ^^Its importance does not stop short of recycling^^; researchers are using isotope studies of various elements including sulphur to assess the extent of microbial activity in the environment, monitoring important links in the sulphur cycle and tracking microbial and higher organism food chain.'

I don't know what you mean by `Its importance does not stop short of recycling'.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 68

Farlander

"Happily, in many early cases of infection, removal of the catheter solves the problem because the bacteria would be forced to multiply in areas where stagnant urine collected, and would be flushed out by repeated calls of nature"

um... what about.. "Happily, in many early cases of infection, removal of the catheter solves the problem. This is because the bacteria is forced to multiply in areas where stagnant urine collects, and is subsequently flushed out by repeated calls of nature"?

yes, i think 'they chose e. coli' would be better...

"Its importance does not stop short of recycling" - whoops. what is meant is that the importance of e. coli in the environment is not limited to its ability to recycle elements/compounds.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 69

Will

* points to the first question in his last post smiley - smiley *

smiley - popcorn

Oh, okay. I get it now... I think smiley - erm. Is this okay:

`Happily, in many early cases of infection, removal of the catheter solves the problem as the bacteria is then forced to multiply in areas where stagnant urine collects, and is subsequently flushed out by repeated calls of nature.'

smiley - popcorn

Changed smiley - smiley

smiley - popcorn

Changed to:

`However, the importance of E. coli in the environment is not limited to its ability to recycle elements and compounds. Researchers are...'


Sub-editing Notification

Post 70

Farlander

oh, oops... yeah, 'cells lining...' is fine. ditto other changes smiley - smiley


Sub-editing Notification

Post 71

Will

Changed smiley - smiley. I'll carry on subbing later tonight or tomorrow... it's blog time now smiley - biggrin.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 72

Farlander

don't get me started on backlog... i've spent the last two hours in front of the pc just *replying* to them!


Sub-editing Notification

Post 73

Will

However, E. coli isn't all monster.

Link removed. That article isn't exactly in the Edited Guide. Nice try, Ste smiley - tongueout.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 74

Farlander

smiley - laugh i found it quite funny, really...


Sub-editing Notification

Post 75

Ste

Dammit!

If it wasn't for you pesky kids I would have got that monster in the edited guide.

Shall I put the monster in PR first then? smiley - winkeye

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 76

Will

You could try, but they'd probably want you to remove the smiley smiley - winkeye


Sub-editing Notification

Post 77

Orcus

Hi, just saw this article in the *what's coming up* section.

Thought you might like to link this to an aritcle of mine already in the edited guide. I think you'll find it's appropriate... smiley - smiley

Antibiotics and the Emergence of Bacterial Drug Resistance A591374

Thanks.

Orcus



Sub-editing Notification

Post 78

Will

Thanks smiley - smiley. I've added it here:

`These toxins cause massive quantities of water to be lost from the body through the anus, and in severe cases can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, both of which can lead to death if the disease is not stopped in time with ^^antibiotics^^.'

smiley - popcorn

Technically speaking, E. coli is a rod-shaped, Gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic bacterium in the family Enterobacteriaceae.

Should `Enterobacteriaceae' be italicised, as it's a bio term?

smiley - popcorn

`Our friendly and rapidly-replicating E. coli out-compete pathogens; they even inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria by secreting various substances that are toxic to non-indigenous bacteria.'

What does `out-compete' mean smiley - erm?

smiley - popcorn

`Researchers are using isotope studies of various elements including sulphur to assess the extent of microbial activity in the environment, monitoring important links in the sulphur cycle and tracking microbial and higher organism food chain.'

`tracking... higher organism food chain.' Does that make sense to anyone, 'cause I'm stuck smiley - biggrin?


Sub-editing Notification

Post 79

Ste

'Should `Enterobacteriaceae' be italicised, as it's a bio term?'

Enterobacteriaceae is the family of which E. coli belongs. Only genera and species names are italicised. So no. smiley - smiley


'What does `out-compete' mean?'

That it competes with other pathogens and wins.


'`tracking... higher organism food chain.' Does that make sense to anyone, 'cause I'm stuck?'

Hmm, it isn't clear. Try this:

"Researchers are using isotope studies of various elements including sulphur to assess the extent of microbial activity in the environment, monitoring important links in the sulphur cycle and tracking the flow of these elements in the food webs of ecosystems."

Or something similar.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 80

Ste

Hey Orcus (hello)

Where's the 'what's coming up' section? Can't find it for the life of me... :/

Stesmiley - mod


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more