A Conversation for E. coli: Friend or Foe?

A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 41

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Comments, in a relatively random order:

1) I may well make my biology students read this, as this is what I was *hoping* to get from them when I assigned an essay earlier in the semester on beneficial bacteria. You would not believe the smiley - bleep that was handed in. *sigh* The students are actually quite decent at memorizing the vocabularies and structures and whatnot, but asking them to actually research and synthesize and write is really beyond what they're willing to do (although not beyond they're capabilities -- they're all quite brilliant kids).

2) Per EG guidelines, all footnotes should be complete sentences.

3) In this sentence: "Technically speaking, E. coli is a Gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic bacterium in the family Enterobacteriaceae." I think it's also whether mentioning E. coli is a rod, coccus, or spirogizmo.

4) It might also be worth mentioning that a new treatment is currently being developed for the nasty type of E. coli infections, which involves using targeted bacteriophages instead of antibiotics. Animal trials have been hugely successful have at least 2 universities that I know of, and I believe human trials are being planned (may already be underway, but I don't think so yet). Anyway, this route gets around some of the problems with the interactions between the antibiotics and toxin production in E.coli. People seem very excited about this -- the old way of using bacteriophages wouldn't work on a large scale, but they seem to have gotten around that.

5) In the normal gut flora section, I definitely think it's worth mentioning that E. coli is the main reason poop smells the way it does. smiley - biggrin People clearly need to know these things. Anyway, this is why babies' diapers smell different when they are on antibiotics -- and (of course they are then prone to antibiotic-associated diarrhea from rotavirus and the like).

6) "Those who do not have these bacteria helping them digest their milk are thus lactose-intolerant." Sorry, but I don't believe that the lack of bacteria is the sole reason for lactose-intolerance. If it was, it wouldn't be that difficult to establish the correct microflora into people to make them lactose-tolerant -- after all, we give people brand new GI flora all the time after surgeries and immunosuppresions and whatnot. There are also genetic factors involved, as I recall.

smiley - 2cents
smiley - mouse


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 42

Farlander

oops... you mean to say we failed to mention that e. coli was rod-shaped? smiley - erm oh dear...

maybe we could change "Those who do not have these bacteria helping them digest their milk are thus lactose-intolerant" to "these microbes help confer lactose-tolerancealthough genetic predisposition also plays a role in determining if a person is lactose-tolerant or otherwise</footnote", or just omit the sentence altogether? although i do have this friend who, when she goes on antibiotics (which is pretty often, mind you), becomes intolerant to lactose for several weeks, so i think the microbes play a pretty big role, even if they are not the only factor influencing lactose-intolerance.

thanks for your smiley - 2cents!

(i also find it terribly interesting how they're supposedly developing new bioweapons - i don't know if they've actually *done* this, or if it's all still theory - using a combination of viruses and bacteria. hide the viruses in pathogenic bacteria, and infect the host. when host tries to kill off bacteria using antibiotics, host ruptures bacterial cells, releasing viruses. pretty cool, that. any news about that?)


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 43

Ste

Thanks Stratagenius V smiley - blush


An entry about the whole GE debate, eh Recumbentman? That might be worth a shot, especially as the furore has died down somewhat of late. smiley - ok


summerbayexile: You had a done of O157, did you? Nasty, good to see you up and about. smiley - ok Regarding the meningitis comment, you are absolutely correct. I'll remedy that right away. I've reworked the entire Meningitis section slightly too. Thanks for your input. smiley - cheers


Thanks for the comments Mikey, I'll have to deal with them tomorrow. Movies await! smiley - winkeye


Stesmiley - mod


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 44

Ste

Busy weekend. Just dashed in to clear up Mikey's well-spotted points on the entry: smiley - ok

1) Yeah! Get the biology students to read my entry! I'd get such a kick out of that, as I'm sure Farly would. smiley - cheers

2) Footnotes complete sentences. You're right. Alrighty, I'll get onto it. Changed some, removed one (the sulphur reference, couldn't reword it).

3) Added 'rod-shaped' to the intro. smiley - ok

4) I heard about the Soviets having a rather advanced phage research programme up and running. Facinating stuff. I'm not sure if the entry can squeeze that information in, IMO it's a little on the big size. It might merit a whole entry by itself.

5) People have the right, no..., the *need* to know such vital information. I shall add it in forthwith.

6) Changed the lactose-intolerant part, as Farly suggested. smiley - biggrin

Thank you!smiley - ale

Stesmiley - mod


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 45

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Another quickie:

In the natural gut flora bit --

"they even inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria by secreting various substances that are toxic non-indigenous bacteria"

I think is supposed to be....

"they even inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria by secreting various substances that are toxic to non-indigenous bacteria"

It took me awhile to figure out what that sentence meant until I mentally added in the missing preposition. smiley - winkeye

smiley - mouse


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 46

Ste

Ah! Those ones are always the hardest to spot. Your brain just reads through it. Well, mine does. smiley - winkeye

Thanks again,

Stesmiley - mod


A1048385 - E. coli: Friend or Foe?

Post 47

Farlander

i just zipped right past that as well smiley - laugh now that you mention it, though, it *is* pretty funny...


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 48

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 49

summerbayexile

Well done you two,
In honour of the little bug(ger)smiley - laugh this is my first accepted recommendation as a scout. Really pleased for both of you.smiley - cheers
sbe


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 50

Santragenius V

smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 51

Ste

smiley - cheerssmiley - alesmiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

Thanks! smiley - smiley

Stesmiley - mod


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 52

Farlander

thanks, you lot! smiley - cheers 'specially the scout who picked this!

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly


Sub-editing Notification

Post 53

Will

Hi everyone smiley - smiley,

I'm the sub-editor for this entry. The recommended version is located at A1061308. I'll post here with details of any major changes that I have, and if I, you, or anyone else has questions, please post them here smiley - smiley.

This is #2 in my Sub-editing queue. I think that I'll be ready to start on it in less than a week. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions, comments, or whatever, post away smiley - smiley.

Robert


Sub-editing Notification

Post 54

Ste

Hi Robert smiley - biggrin

Whist you're subediting, do you think you could record all of the changes you make so we can comment/disagree/agree on them? smiley - ta

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - mod


Sub-editing Notification

Post 55

Farlander

and while we're at it, provide a padded cell and padded paddles so that we don't actually *injure* ourselves when bopping each other on the head? smiley - laugh lol, i'm just kidding!


Sub-editing Notification

Post 56

Will

smiley - ok, will do, Ste smiley - smiley

smiley - laugh Maybe you should write up a `Feature Suggestion' about it, Farlander smiley - smiley.

Robert


Sub-editing Notification

Post 57

Farlander

about what, robert? suggest to the italics they create cyberspace soundproof padded rooms to toss the writers and their subeditors into while the editing process is taking place? smiley - winkeye

don't mind me - i'm still high on the caffeine from my coffee...

anyway, good to be working with you smiley - ok


Sub-editing Notification

Post 58

Will

I was thinking that you'd be the only one in the padded room. I'm as sane as the rest of h2g2 smiley - winkeye.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 59

Will

` I think that I'll be ready to start on it in less than a week. '

Completly forgetting my schedule for this week. Make that starting on Friday or something smiley - erm. Like I told Ste, Finals week this week smiley - sadface.


Sub-editing Notification

Post 60

Farlander

no prob. better work on your exam first, or you'll have us to blame for writing 'i am a fish' on your exam papersmiley - winkeye (rd reference)


Key: Complain about this post