The h2g2 Post 12.02.18

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 12th February 2018

Hibernation Activities

Lola, the five-pound dog, turning her back on winter and taking a nap by the window It's literally the dead of winter, folks. The Groundhog let us down. It will probably be snowing on Easter Sunday in the relevant climes, which will be bad news for the bonnet industry. Outside the Post Office window, the sun is shining deceptively – on fresh snow, at a temperature of -7° C. The heck with it. We've got a (gluten-free) cake coming hot out of the oven, the whole menagerie is asleep, and h2g2ers have posted half-a-dozen snork-worthy quips at me in the last hour. I say the sun can keep shining – Buzzardina the cat has found a spot near a window – and I will keep typing.

Yesterday, Robbie Stamp said the reason he loved the h2g2 Post was the way we put a novel spin on odd topics like snow rollers. Apparently, many of you agree. For this reason alone, you will enjoy this week's issue: it has Added Snark. It also has lots of cool photos – our contributors have outdone themselves – and a brand-new column! Starting this week, bobstafford will be sharing The View from My Window. Not only will you get to see some of Bob's superior photos, but he'll pass on some expert advice on how to take your own. See? We're looking out for your interests.

Speaking of looking out for each other's interests, a couple of weeks ago, Benjaminpmoore shared his insights on the practical difficulties of being out of work in the UK. The Editor was unable to pursue this topic, due to complete lack of knowledge. We turned to SashaQ, who has experience in UK job searching. This week's issue has a valuable contribution to the discussion. Please read 'The Hidden Job Market in the UK', and add your own insights. Brainstorming: another thing we're really good at around here.

So what else is there to read? Are you kidding? This issue is full of things to read and enjoy:
A cartoon showing a knight in armour who needs a can opener urgently

  • Lots of nature pictures: Willem's painted us another beautiful antelope. Sasha has spotted lots of birds. Tavaron found an adventurous tortoise. I pointed the camera out the window again, and then was so proud of myself I wrote a poem about it. Endure. For bobstafford, the road goes ever on, through some interesting landscape. Superfrenchie has some wildlife (hopefully) not found in nature. It will give you pause.
  • Cactuscafé and Freewayriding looked up. At night. On the right night. See the supermoon.
  • Awix eschews the outside for the worlds to be found inside the cinema, as always. Read his review of the latest high-profile effort starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
  • We have a full complement of quizzes. Alas, Bluebottle has discovered that Z is the end of the alphabet, even on the Isle of Wight. Enjoy the quiz – there is nothing penultimate about this one – and give Bluebottle suggestions for his next exciting quiz series. (Seriously, do this: we want to keep him busy.)
  • We have the usual attempts at humour. Keep calm, and carry on.
  • We have a terrific story by FWR, full of excitement, adventure, and encounters with skinheads. Please read.
  • There's a photo to caption, and it's a puzzler. The literary corner is a puzzler, too: who knew the Nazis were into hemp growing? This historical revelation opens up so many possibilities, such as a psychedelic rendition of Die Wacht am Rhein…enjoy the pictures.

You know what's expected of you: read, leave comments, tell all your friends and Twitter followers about us, and send us your copy. Help the Core Team think of ways to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the h2g2 phenomenon next year. Send your ideas to [email protected].

Bundle up (unless you're on Willem's side of the equator), and have a great week!
 Molly the Editorial Assistant Kitty doing what she does when she's not up to mischief: sleeping soundly and adorably 


Dmitri Gheorgheni

EXPLORE THE WILD LIFE

ANSWERS NEEDED

LOOKING AROUND US


MERRY PRANKSTERS
WITH AND WITHOUT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
  • The cover of a book urging Germans to grow hemp during World War II. It's called 'The Fun Primer of Hemp-Growing
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87901932

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more