Venerable Researchers: Orcus

1 Conversation

A chatty budgerigar with a book called 'How to Speak to Humans'.

Venerable Researchers

Please welcome Orcus.

When did you join h2g2?

I think it was mid-September 1999 - the same day as former-italic Mina - she once spotted this and decided that we were h2g2 twins smiley - smiley

How did you hear of/find h2g2?

I was chatting with a housemate in Birmingham where I lived and work at the time about SciFi and I was eulogising about the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and he mentioned - well there's this website you know...

Why did you join h2g2?

I looked at it for a while, had never been into websites or forum posting so was quite nervous at first. But I thoroughly enjoyed the series of articles on Driving Etiquette such as they were at the time and got into posting on the Limerick Threads at first. After a while I discovered that my normal geeky tastes in things were thoroughly welcomed on hootoo so I plunged in with full abandon - becoming one of the most active researchers (in terms of posting at least) by 2002ish I think. I certainly used to compete strongly with the most prolific posters on the old info pages.

I remember the old Info pages. I used to be one of the most prolific posters, too. Heck, I remember when 2legs topped 200 posts a day, repeatedly!

Did you jump right in, or did you lurk awhile first?

Er. answered above I think.

Have you written an Edited Entry?

Yes.

How many?

Not sure without looking it up - but only about 5 I think. Several collaborative ones too.

What was your first Entry?

An entry on St. Andrews in Fife, Scotland. I'd worked there for 18 months just before joining hootoo.

What is your favorite Entry (of the ones you've written)?

Probably that one as it is nicely humorous yet full of info too - and I'm not just saying that myself - I know at least one other researcher who enjoyed the humour.

What is your favorite Entry by someone else?

Pffft. Tricky. I still like the driving etiquette ones for the sheer hilarity. Both Gnomon and Hoovooloo have written some excellent entries which stand out in my memory but I wouldn't want to pin it down to one. Lies, Damn Lies and Science Lessons by Hoo if you held a gun to my head. I teach science partly for a living so it has some resonance with me.

Do you belong to/have you started any clubs/societies/what-have-you on h2g2?

Oh I post as an 'expert' on the SEx (science explained) forum, I belong to the site's Queen fan club but that's largely defunct I think.

I'm not really one for joining clubs and societies to be honest. I recall Pheloxi wanting me to join his United Friends thing - really not my thing at all. Sorry.

Is that/are those club(s)/society(ies)/what-have-you(s) still active?

Not really - even SEx is slow these days.

Have you held any volunteer positions in the past?

I've been an ACE and a Scout.

Are you a current volunteer?

No.

Which elvised researcher do you miss most?

Oof, another hard one. Possibly some of the old italics like Abi or Peta. I always enjoyed Ictoan's posts. But maybe Ottox or Dragonfly and Shea the Sarcastic, they were always good fun hootooers.

I recently discovered Peregrindied in the USA not long ago - I recall meeting him at two meets so that's sad and he was a good personality. Demon Drawer is also an honourable mention, if indeed he has elvised...

Have you been an elvised researcher?

Yes but it is so long ago no one will have noticed. I left after a few weeks of joining for nearly a year but came back just in time for the Rupert incident and so was almost immediately forced off again. I've stayed ever since.

What brought you back?

I honestly can't remember. It was 12 years ago!

Have you been known by other names on h2g2 (not necessarily other accounts)?

Nope, I am the one and only and have never had even one more account although I did briefly become (also) an h2g2 mouse but that has long ago died.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you miss?

Yes, I used to enjoy all the amazing home pages people had before the BBC wiped javascript away from them all. Not that I have ever been capable of such a thing. I also miss some of the linguistic multiculturalism and bubblefish.

What aspect of current h2g2 do you wish had been extant when you joined?

Well I joined before there were ACEs or Scouts or the Peer Review forum. I guess those, but that's going back into deep time.

Have you been to any meets, of any size, whether "official" or not (meet=over a dozen, minimeet=6-12, micromeet=less than a half dozen)?

I went to one official meet in London in maybe 2002(?) and one unofficial one in Manchester (the Spring Onion - were you not at that - I seem to recall your paper baby being there at least - might have been sent in absentia). But that's it.

While I did join h2g2 before the Spring Onion Meet, I did not become aware of the concept of meets until shortly before the Radish, which was the next Northern meet. My self portrait was at the Radish, inspired by a suggestion from Amy the Ant, which was inspired by Mark Moxon being at the Spring Onion in the paper instead of in the flesh. PaperBaby (now PaperKid) wasn't born until July 2003, and her account didn't exist until December 2002, so she wasn't there, either...

How many?

2.

If you've been to multiple meets, what's the farthest you've traveled to one?

100 miles.

Am I asking too many questions?

Que?

Is this getting annoying?

smiley - cross

How about now?

smiley - smiley

If I were to give you a mufflewhump, what would it turn into, keeping in mind that they can't turn into anything sapient nor anything that can act against the giver's (ie, my) interest, and that they only work on h2g2?

smiley - chocolate

Had you even heard of mufflewhumps before the previous question?

Of course.

Have I given you one before?

I assume you're talking about mufflewhumps here - not sure - but I think I'd remember if it was aught else smiley - winkeye

smiley - rolleyes

Did you know me before this interview?

Yes.

Do you have a question for me (fair's fair, after all) (not one answered on my PS)?

Not really, inspiration lacketh, sorry.

Thank you, Orcus!

Next time, we'll be hearing from Wand'ring Star.

The Venerable Researchers Archive

Amy

10.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87824703

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more