The Official h2g2 Winter Party, London 2003

37 Conversations

A party in full swing

Twice a year h2g2 throws a big party in London to which all Researchers are invited. We do this because it gives us all a chance to finally meet each other or to say hello to old friends. There is nothing like the finding out that your favourite h2g2 friend looks nothing like you expected them to.

The next party is going to be held on Saturday 25 January, 2003. We always hold an afternoon daytime event that younger Researchers can attend, and then move on to a London tavern in the evening.

What Time Does the Party Start?

We will be meeting at the Strand entrance of the courtyard of Somerset House at 2pm. If you are attending the evening party, join us at Penderel's Oak from 6pm onwards.

Where is the Party Going to be Held?

The party will consist of an afternoon activity and an evening mingle. If you are attending in the afternoon you have a choice of activity. Some Researchers have mentioned going ice skating at Somerset House. If you want to go ice-skating, you can find booking details at the Somerset House website. The more culturally minded can join Abi on her 'Cultural Tour of Holborn', calling in at historical points of interest and hot chocolate shops and culminating in a visit to Sir John Soane's museum in Lincolns Inn Fields. This is one of London's best loved museums and really is worth a visit. If all this sounds too much like hard work, then why not exercise your brain in the h2g2 Board Games Challenge. This is to be held in the Shakespeare's Head, Holborn, and will include the h2g2 Top Trumps Challenge.

In the evening we will be roistering at Penderel's Oak on High Holborn, a lovely pub1 near the h2g2 offices. There will be the traditional pub quiz and a few other treats!

This party will be a ticketed event - each ticket will cost £10 and will entitle the bearer to a hot and cold buffet and two drinks of their choosing.

How can I get a Ticket?

You need to sign-up to let us know that you intend to come. If you want to come to the party please let us know by posting in the RSVP Forum. Tickets will be available on the day. The only way to reserve yourself a ticket, is to sign up below.

Find out who is attending this social extravaganza!

Smoking

There has some debate over the subject of smoking at official meet-ups. We have decided to hear the views of Researchers who wish to attend prior to making a decision. Please post your views in the forum below. Should the meet-up be smoking, non-smoking or have a designated smoking section. The issue of smoking can be very emotive so please respect the fact other Researchers may not hold the same opinion as you.

Is there anything else I need to know?

If you haven't attended a meet-up before or even if you have been to every single one, we have collected a few guidelines together to make sure we all have a safe and happy time.

1Please remember that Researchers between the ages of 14 and 17 may attend the pub venue, if accompanied by an adult. It's illegal for under 18s to drink alcohol, so all young Researchers between the ages of 14-17 must stick to soft drinks. If any one is found drinking alcohol, they will be asked to leave.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A824465

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more