A Conversation for Dealing with Pre-menstrual Syndrome and Period Pain

PMS - better than being pregnant...!

Post 1

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Keeping PMS from being an ordeal:

• Stay on a regular schedule of birth control pills, like orthocyclin. With a regular pill schedule, this means that you know exactly when to expect the symptoms of PMS. It also reduces the cramping and bloating that go along with it. It won't reduce the mood swings - these are a result of hormonal changes, not physical discomfort. If you notice a serious problem with depression and irritability, it's best to check with your doctor.
• A week before your period starts, make sure that your diet isn't too heavy in salts, alcohol and caffeine - this will keep water retention and bloating down. Also make sure you eat plenty of foods containing iron and other vitamins.
• Regular exercise will help circulation and prevent cramps. Women that exercise too much will stop having their period altogether, but this is very dangerous, and not medically recommended.
• Make sure you get plenty of sleep. If you're lucky, you'll sleep through the worst of the cramps, and wake with nothing more than a slightly bloated feeling. It will also give you energy for later on in the day.


PMS - better than being pregnant...!

Post 2

E G Mel

Hear Hear, sleep is the god of all PMS solutions, if only I still started on a Saturday and not Friday!

Mel smiley - hsif


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more