A Conversation for Staple Removers

The Mechanics of It...

Post 1

Pinniped

Like it!
Someone will surely put me straight on this, but I think I'm right in saying that a staple remover (modern type, with the interlocking jaws) is an example of a Class 3 Lever mechanism, and that these are pretty rare.
The load is at one end, the fulcrum is at the other end, and the actuating force is applied in the middle.
Tweezers (which have evident similarities) are similar. Most of your limbs (less obviously) work this way too.
Most levers are Class 1. Fulcrum in the middle, load and force at opposite ends. See-saws, scissors and crowbars, for example. Class 2s have the load in the middle. Like wheelbarrows or nutcrackers.
I do hope I haven't misrepresented Mechanical Engineering here, because it's a fascinating subject and I have many good friends among its worthy practioners. They're really interesting people - honest.
P.


Key: Complain about this post

The Mechanics of It...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more